Audio Recorder - Other than Zoom

I need to have a DECENT and IN-THE BUDGET audio recorder. I tried to look at Zoom but it costs a lot, and I doubt if our country has it. Other thing is shot gun mic, but I feel it to be inflexible because the camera has to be closer to get a proper boost of audio.

Do you know any other audio recorders? Preferably in Sony brand, because apparently that's the only voice recorder we have here or so I believe.

Here is the homepage of Sony: http://www.sony.com.ph/productcategory/pa-voice-recorder

My budget is only around $100. If you happen to know a particular model, can you site the specific model?

I already did my research about Sony, but I'd really like a first hand information from lay people. ::blush::blush:

I hope you don't mind. Thanks!

Other thing is shot gun mic, but I feel it to be inflexible because the camera has to be closer to get a proper boost of audio.

Okay, lesson Number One: It doesn't matter if it's a shotgun, a cardioid, a supercardioid, a hypercardioid or an omni; get the mic off of the camera and onto a boom-pole. Have the person "swinging" the boom-pole keep the mic aimed at the talent. Get the mic as close in as possible. This is physics, and you cannot defy the laws of physics.

The Inverse Square Law

In simple terms, this means that a sound twice as far away is only one-fourth as loud. A sound four times as far away is only one-sixteenth as loud. So a human voice that records with adequate volume one feet away is just one-sixteenth as effective at four feet.

Do you know any other audio recorders? Preferably in Sony brand, because apparently that's the only voice recorder we have here or so I believe. My budget is only around $100. If you happen to know a particular model, can you site the specific model?

Voice recorders are not going to give you the quality you need. You need something at least remotely aimed at musicians and/or ENG/EFP.

The Zoom H1 - US$90.
Tascam DR-05 - US$95
Tascam DR-07mkII - US$150
Tascam DR-40 - US$200 *** This is the least expensive that will allow you to use low impedance mics that do not have to be self powered.

You didn't mention which mic you are using, so you may need an impedance matcher/convertor so it will work with the recorder you choose.

The Audio Technica AT897 (US$230) and the Rode NTG-2 (US$270) are self-powered (via battery) shotgun mics that would require an impedance matcher/convertor to work with all of the above except the DR-40. You may also want to look at the Rode Video Mic (US$150).

You also didn't mention which camera you are using. More details will help us help you. What kind of stuff are you shooting? What audio gear do you currently have?

I need to have a DECENT and IN-THE BUDGET audio recorder. I tried to look at Zoom but it costs a lot, and I doubt if our country has it. Other thing is shot gun mic, but I feel it to be inflexible because the camera has to be closer to get a proper boost of audio.

Do you know any other audio recorders? Preferably in Sony brand, because apparently that's the only voice recorder we have here or so I believe.

Here is the homepage of Sony: http://www.sony.com.ph/productcategory/pa-voice-recorder

My budget is only around $100. If you happen to know a particular model, can you site the specific model?

I already did my research about Sony, but I'd really like a first hand information from lay people. ::blush::blush:

I hope you don't mind. Thanks!

At budget of $100, you will not get any decent new recorder, but if you invest a little more, you may get a preowned previous generation professional recorder. These older professional digital recorders can record astounding sound which will knock the socks off from any of those $100 range prosumer recorders. Two of my personal favorites are:

Fostex FR2 and Marantz PMD661.

All $100 recorders have low quality noisy preamps and a harshness which is difficult to describe in words. Once you compare the same sound recorded with such $100 range recorders with old professional recorders, you will immediately feel the organic smoothness of the professional recording.

It is better to bite the bullet and get a decent tool as it will always give back by increasing your production value.

Thanks for the valuable insights Alcove Audio and Mitra

First thing is I don't own a mic, although having one would really look like I'm a film maker. haha
But anyway, I consider the VOICE RECORDER would be more appropriate than the MIC since not only it has more controls, and has a separate battery, I can also shoot long distance, and still have a reasonable audio from the actors.

So, to the VOICE RECORDER. The reason I'm not particular with stretching with the budget is that I'm not a working professional. The device would be mainly use for petty short films for my friends, and perhaps recording lecture. So I'm willing to forego the professional quality, as for this moment. So long that the voice recorder is functional, i.e. I can hear the dialogue of the actors clearly, and such.

Also the thing that made me reconsider the voice recorder route is that I recently watched a short film, accompanied by an audio recorded by an iPhone. They said it is placed near the actor, to get a decent audio. Nonetheless, though there are still noises, the bare voices of the actors are still clear. And I don't mind the small hisses of the iPhone. At least it's not as noisy as the built in microphone of the camera.

Of course I'm not going to buy an iPhone, but I consider that the dedicated voice recorder is still better than the iPhone, so this makes me believe that I'd still get a reasonable audio.

I'm currently using a 600D, and for now I'm eyeing for the Sony's ICD SX712. I'm looking for a Tascam, and Zoom H1, but still I can't find it. Apparently, we don't have a store dedicated to this kind of stuff. I found a Shot gun Rode Mic, but still it's not of my interest, and still it would look good on the camera, while I carry it. :]

Looking forward to hearing your insights! Thanks again :]

Back