• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio Problems

Hey guys, I am going mental here, Basically, I have a set up for filming, now before I get told I should have a seperate audio setup with a H4N Zoom on a boom pole and a dead cat microphone, I know about it, but I can't afford that at the moment, also it is about on the move filming, so this setup is what I will be working with. My setup consists of a 5D Mark 2 with a Rode Videomic attached on the top of it, and the problem is the crazy levels of noise, It's unbearable, makes me want to just use the on board mic, but I shudder at the thought, any tips on what I'm doing wrong? I've turned down the gain on the microphone to the lowest notch, and set the camera audio levels to the lowest it can be without turning it off completely, so that's also not the problem.

Thanks in advance.

any tips on what I'm doing wrong? I've turned down the gain on the microphone to the lowest notch, and set the camera audio levels to the lowest it can be without turning it off completely, so that's also not the problem.

Actually, that probably is the problem. If the camera isn't recording a hot enough signal then all that you're recording is noise. Send a good level from the mic, record as high as you can on the recorder without clipping.

If you get the microphone off the camera and closer to the talent you'll notice a huge difference too. You can get a 3.5mm extension cable for less than $10 and a broom stick for free-$3. Tape that mic on there if you have too, or for not much more there are tons of $20 DIY boom poles that will significantly increase your quality just because it's closer to the talent.

Granted, you'll still be using a sub-par mic with a sub-par recorder, but you should notice a difference.

As per what PG said...

I'll say that the audio performance of the Rode Videomic will be much much better than what your 5D Mark 2 can achieve so indeed turn down any gain on the 5D to its lowest.

The sound from the Rode Videomic and 5D should be okay - not awful.

Try the Rode Videomic with whatever gain variations are available - do tests with them all.

Turn off any Automatic Gain Control (AGC) on the 5D.

Since you're filming yourself. Run through the whole 'scene' on your audio gear and play it back on a good quality system - check it sounds okay.

Interesting two replies, one says to record with the gain as high as possible (without clipping) the other says the exact opposite, and neither of them are correct! The higher you set your gain the more noise you will get from the horrible mic pre-amps in your DSLR. Although setting your gain right down low will lessen the self noise of the camera's mic-pre it will record a very low signal, which will most likely cause the self noise of your mic to become much more of a problem. You need to do some tests with your mic and camera and discover the mic-pre setting which is high enough to give you a decent signal to noise ratio (SNR) from your mic without producing too much noise from the camera's mic-pre.

You're still going to be fighting a loosing battle most of the time to get decent sound unless you get yourself half decent equipment but running some tests and figuring out the best place to set the camera's mic-pre will at least get the most out of what you've got. PaulGriffith's second paragraph is very good advice too. The closer you can get the mic to the subject the more signal you will get and the less noise.

G

Back