• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio levels

Mixing audio. What are the standard max audio levels for dialogue, and for bigger stuff, like music?

Of course I tried googling, but mostly all I found was a bunch of technical jargon that's way over my head. All I understand is that little audio meter that ranges from -infinity, through -30, to 0.

What I've gathered, so far, is that normal peaking, depending on who you're getting advice from, should never top -6 to -3. Really? I should never creep towards 0?

Actually, I kind of already knew that, or at least sort of. My primary question is this --

What about a scene that is just dialogue? How loud should it be? How quiet is too quiet?

It wouldn't really make sense for me to have a dialogue-only scene peaking at -3, would it? Cuz that's the peak I save for the really loud scenes, when there are sound FX, yelling, and bombastic music (oh yes, my soundtrack is bombastic). Intuition tells me that, obviously, the dialogue-only scene should be more quiet.

I just can't figure out how quiet.

1. If it's a "regular" conversation, what should it peak at?
2. How low can I go, while still being heard? What if somebody's whispering?

Thanks, in advance, for the help!

Although the audio editing platform does make a difference once you step into the realm of "professional" audio/video work, at the low budget level Vegas will do just fine as will many other DAW and NLE systems. What is important is your understanding of how audio works - both the technological aspects and its affect upon the audience. When I was learning computers back in the early 80's (programming in "C", etc. - there was no such thing as Windows or the 'net and personal Fax machine was the height of chic) the guy who was teaching me told me "It's very simple; but there is one HELL of a lot of simple!" The same applies to audio; you have to understand basic concepts and how to apply those concepts in varying, even contradictory, situations. Two guys I admire, Ric Viers and David Sonnenschein, are currently giving a six-week webinar series for audio professionals. I'm posting the promo vid to give you an idea of a few of the things that experienced sound professionals focus upon. (Yes, I have their books and follow a lot of their precepts.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPV8he1cQ2s​

From Ric Viers "Rode Rage" series (Ric endorses Rode products):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRpacB1aMf4​

Last edited:
Rerecording - mixing - is probably the hardest part of audio post.

I don't feel so bad then.

When I worked with analogue music I could ride the faders and do things intuitively. At this micro-budget level I am mixing digitally with no faders.

Thanks to everyone for reminding me to keep it below -2...

Last edited:
Rerecording - mixing - is probably the hardest part of audio post.

Just as a rule of thumb, dialog should be at about -20, screams and yells should peak at about -12. That gives headroom for explosions, crashes, etc. and the score to have more sonic impact.

I almost never use compression on dialog, but do use a limiter on the dialog buss. I will compress sound FX to increase their impact.

As a rule my master levels are always on the quiet side; I probably peak at about -4. Once the mix is completed I increase the gain of the entire mix to -.2.

I know it's way more complicated than this, but thanks -- this dumbing down is exactly what I was looking for.

Just as was the case with my lackluster cinematography, I just don't see how I can take the many years needed to become an expert on audio, so I'm doing the best I can, in my amateur way. I'm hoping that my storytelling is enough to keep my audience engaged, and that perhaps somebody might hire me for that. Or, perhaps I can use this movie to attract funding for the next feature, so that I can hire somebody who knows what the F they're doing in audio.

I know it's way more complicated than this, but thanks -- this dumbing down is exactly what I was looking for.

Just as was the case with my lackluster cinematography, I just don't see how I can take the many years needed to become an expert on audio, so I'm doing the best I can, in my amateur way. I'm hoping that my storytelling is enough to keep my audience engaged, and that perhaps somebody might hire me for that. Or, perhaps I can use this movie to attract funding for the next feature, so that I can hire somebody who knows what the F they're doing in audio.

Snap. I've done a fair bit of mixing for gigs and live shows before, and even some music recording, but I'm starting on the audio post for my feature and I'm more than a bit lost.

Back