Audio for the XL2

I'm going to be buying an XL2 soon, hopefully, and i was wondering the audio situation it has. Right now i have a shotgum mic that plugs into ports the size of headphones, can the XL2 use this kind of mic? I have seen the ports it has for audio, is there some sort of adapeter or should i just buy a new mic, how much would a mic like that cost. wow lots of questions, thanks.

No, the XL2 cannot use that sort of mic (1/8"). You will need a microphone with XLR inputs. What mic are you using at the moment? I know there are 1/8" -> XLR adapters but I have never heard of the opposite. That said, you will want an XLR mic anyway if you want audio quality to match your (potential) footage quality :).

montana?

Hi Shaw,
Where at in Montana are you? I lived in Bozeman for a couple of years while I attended the Science & Natural History Filmmaking program.
so the on board mic isn't a mini plug anymore, eh? That's good to know. I'm also in the process of ordering an XL2. Looking at that Servo lens since there's a rebate on it now until the end of June. :cool:
I'll be back in Bozeman next week for graduation :rolleyes:
cheers!

I'm actually in Bozeman at the moment :). I'm not in the film program but I am going to MSU. I wish I had the time and money to spend so I could be in the film program as well - It's quite good. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, the classes are nearly all restricted to those majoring in the area.

Nope no more mini-plug! The XL1 had a mini plug right? Haven't seen that camera for a while now.

By servo lens you mean the 16x manual?

Yep, that XL1 had a strange double miniplug. I just sold my XL1 to an old friend. I really like the idea of a native 16x9 camera that has interchangeable lenses. Of course, if I could afford an HD, I'd get one. After using that camera at MSU I have a dream.... someday I'll own one of those.
What program are you in at Bozeman? Just curious.
well, good luck, and feel free to ask q's about the program...
cheers,
Tracy
aka "coyotegyrl"

I'm currently in Psychology. It's unfortunate that MSU doesn't have more linguistics classes. It's an area I've enjoyed studying for quite a few years now and we only have one introductory class. Oh well!

I've actually been surprised at how long the old XL1 has stuck around. It really was a great camera. I have a DVX - which has neither true 16:9 nor interchangable lenses so I know what you mean! The DVX is great for me at the moment but there certainly are times when I wish I had true 16:9 and a selection of primes!

I'm not familiar with the cameras they use in the film department. What sort of tech are they using? Must be pretty sweet stuff from what you are saying! I'm not sure if you have been following NAB this year but some very interesting new HD cameras have been announced. JVC announced a 720p camera, shoulder mount, with interchangable lenses. Looks pretty nice actually, though the most useful lens costs more than the camera itself....
Panasonic also announced a 1080p/720p camera that, from the sounds of it, absolutely rocks. The downside being that it records to (currently) expensive P2 solid state memory. Both cameras will go for around 6K.

I'll definitely ask if I have any questions regarding the program! In fact, I'm writing a PM right now!

Shaw said:
No, the XL2 cannot use that sort of mic (1/8"). You will need a microphone with XLR inputs. What mic are you using at the moment? I know there are 1/8" -> XLR adapters but I have never heard of the opposite. That said, you will want an XLR mic anyway if you want audio quality to match your (potential) footage quality :).

To my knowledge, XLR to 1/8" converters are not common. You can easily find a adapter that will convert an XLR mic to a 1/4" plug. Radio Shack carries these, but you can also find them at a guitar/pro audio shop since XLR mics are commonly used for stage vocals. From there, you would need a second adapter to convert from 1/4" to 1/8". Although this trechnically would work, I would not recommend it since you would suffer signal degradation going through two adapters.

Back