• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio effect question

Hey guys,

So I'm working on a small video project. In one of the scenes, my protagonist gets up from his chair and leaves the room. Now, in the other room, there is party going on. Well, I want applause and clapping effects in the scene. The camera stays in the room. So I want the audio to sound as if it's coming from the other room. How can I do that? I'm using Adobe Audition.

Altiverb or a similar IR reverb is the best way; they already have presets for "room next door".

If you don't have access to plugs like this you'll need to use a low pass filter and whatever reverb is in Audition.

After you have constructed your party (people, music, bottles, glasses, etc.) send all of the party tracks to a sub-mix. On the sub-mix insert a low pass filter to knock off the high end and then send it to an effects buss with a short reverb (there's probably a "room" setting of some kind). If you are feeling really adventurous you may also want to use a parametric EQ to introduce some "woofyness" (low mids) to the party as well.

If a door opens and closes you use automation to raise (in sync with the open/close) the frequency level of the low pass to almost normal (16kHz to 20kHz) and reduce/increase the gain on the parametric. You may want to increase/decrease the volume a little as well.

If you're running out of tracks or processing power you can print the final result.

Last edited:
Back