• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

assignment: research DaVinci Resolve

Hey everybody, I've been interning at a production agency in the last couple months and they've tasked me with researching DaVinci Resolve and finding out if it'll be a good fit for not only our coloring needs, but as a full editing suite within the program. I am aware that DaVinci *can* do editing, but I'm not sure how effective it really is, when compared with their current adobe platform. Also, wanted to clarify that you DO get a copy of DaVinci Resolve when purchasing a BMCC. They're primarily shooting on RED, Sony NEX-FS100U, and a Sony A7s. All machines are outfitted with proper parts (video card, RAID, etc) to run DaVinci. The bottom line is whether DaVinci is a better option for editing AND color grading because it can be done in a single software as opposed to exporting an XML and roundtripping the entire project.

any info on this would be great!
appreciated as always :)

The short answer is not to touch editing in DaVinci Resolve. It's a color program first and foremost.

Should your production agency use it? Yes, but don't plan to do any editing in it.

As for getting Resolve when buying a BMCC? My friend got it with his 4k Cinema and I believe the 500$ pocket deal that ended a week or so again included it as well. So it's common.

but as a full editing suite within the program

I'll agree with Sky on this one. I looked into using it to edit as well when v11.0 came out. While they're making strides but it's far from ready.

It's one of the leading two programs used for color grading, it's that good.

Unless Speedgrade has made big strides lately, you're round tripping.

Back