Arri imitation - Fresnel Tungsten

Don't know, but a friend of mine ordered some Moles from a Chinese company like this, and after about 4 months of waiting for delivery finally cancelled his order. I have seen used genuine Arris go for that price. That's another option.

Don't know, but a friend of mine ordered some Moles from a Chinese company like this, and after about 4 months of waiting for delivery finally cancelled his order. I have seen used genuine Arris go for that price. That's another option.

I've looked and looked (on ebay) and used arri's are way over that price mark. :(

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this product.
Common sense note: I am not expecting arri build quality, just need to know if they work properly and hopefully don't catch fire as soon as you light them! (that would be a welcomed plus) :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/650W-Fresnel-Tu...ltDomain_0&hash=item2a0e0ebd3c#ht_2987wt_1139

Good point! :D

I joined just to answer this question, so here it goes...

I have worked with Arri lights (the 3 pack in the hard case) and it cost the guy I worked with over $4000. They were quality lights. They worked great, and, except for the heat, they were pretty great! So I wondered about these Hong Kong/China knockoffs...

I ordered them. I received one of them first, and in decent time (about 1 week) from Hong Kong. No stand, but I had a c-stand to put it on. I set it up. While the arm that holds it seems a little less than sturdy, the rest of the body seems just like an Arri! So I tried it out...

I did an hour burn in. It takes the exact same bulb as the Arri (costly...) and everything inside looks pretty much like the Arri, only conserved. During the burn in, I looked for smoke, flicker, melting, and dimming. Nothing is apparent. The light holds up VERY well!

Now, without the barn doors having a scrim to hold them in, the barn doors are a bit wobbly. It's not bad, just irritating when moving it. Also, it's mounted on a 5/8" peg on my c-stand. It's on there, but not super tight. SO, when the stand gets hit a little, it will wobble.

So, all-in-all, I believe it's a decent purchase. Especially when you can save MAJOR money over buying Arri, Lowell, etc., etc. Probably a 3.5 out of 5 in my book.

Back