directing "Aroha" - A New Zealand Travel Short Film

Hello everybody,
During my latest tour in New Zealand I was lucky enough to be able to thoroughly explore this jaw-dropping country with my wife and to test my new filming gear.
New Zealand is so vast that it was just the two of us almost the entire time, and tramping with our tent and sleeping bags gave us the opportunity to reach and shoot some unique locations (although the last one took me hours to get the empty shot before the high tide cut me out! :D ).
I would like to share with you the final results in order to receive any advice and criticism that could help me do better during my next project :) so any feedback about shot composition, storyboard, color correction/grading, transitions, music/SFX ecc will be super appreciated.
I hope you enjoy it!

Hi, a GREAT short!, smooth, different angles and shots, very clear, walking amongst nature is one of life's true gifts, a great message you give, we are all as one :)

Great stuff! Very cool edit transitions and good balance between close up textures and big wides. And great overall pace! What gear did you use to shoot it?

Thank you very much for your comment Leppy :D I'm glad you liked it, and yes nature is definitely what I'm missing the most in this quarantine!

Your Welcome, same missing nature, i'm a runner and sprinter in leisure, i miss that and seeing all the squirrels close up and bunnie's and the wind in the tree's :)

Wow what an atmospheric vibe! Ive just started to attempt videos with a lot of transitions, and I realize how amazing this truly is! (especially compared to the abominations I put together) Great job!

Wow what an atmospheric vibe! Ive just started to attempt videos with a lot of transitions, and I realize how amazing this truly is! (especially compared to the abominations I put together) Great job!
When I look at my first works, from when I had just started editing, I also think it was all abominations :D it's just a matter of practice and taking inspirations from as many films as possible so that you can better understand what works fine and what doesn't.
What I realized about transitions, since I see that for many videomakers it's becoming the leitmotiv of their works these days, is that you really need to play with them carefully. Sometimes I used so many, and so over-elaborate, that instead of adding to the narrative they would make everything more confusing. A good "natural" and logical connection with two clips is most of the times way more effective than a frantic high speed 3D animated transition between random clips. Infact you may finish watching the video and think "ok the editing was cool and crazy af but...what did I actually watch? 🤔".
Anyways I know from my personal experience that it's easier to fall into this rather than setting up the vision of your storyboard and transitions in advance before hitting the rec button 😁
Of course if the goal of the video is not telling a story but just displaying editing skills you can just have fun with it :)

Back