Are documentaries a good starting point?

I've never made a documentary before, I've mostly done very short narratives. I'm thinking of doing a couple, and maybe even travelling to Ireland to shoot one. I think it'll teach me some new things that I can also implement into narratives.

I'll also hopefully enter them into film festivals, which I've not done with anything before. I think it'll teach me a lot before I attempt features or anything like that...

What are others opinions on this?

Do it, go in with a concept of what you expect to focus on... stay maleable to what's happening around you, the concept may change mid stride.

The nice thing about docs is that SO MUCH of them is created in the edit.

Just do it.

In my very limited experience, documentaries are 'harder' than narrative films. I've only made one 5 minute doco and one 5 minute short film (still in editing) and I struggled more the with doco.

Sorting through the overlay footage and all the interview questions was quite a headache, I guess it would have been more improved with more preparation and a clearer goal on the story we wanted to tell.

Bottom line, go for it!

Going to face a challenge though that I haven't done before with narratives, getting the rights for things like photos etc that are crucial to it...

I suppose it'll be a good learning experience.

Back