Are books on film-makers worth reading?

Hey, just wondering if, from both an interest point of view and the practical point of view of making films (perhaps ones emulating a certain director) are books on film makers worth getting.
I've seen a couple, like Lynch on Lynch, Agitator : The Cinema of Takashi Miike and some other ones (Masters of Cinema series, stuff on various 'types' of cinema like, there was one on Asian Horror).
Just wondering if they can be useful practically as well as being interesting.

The books will mean more once you make movies, but if you can get something from reading, then they will help you.

I mean, I'm not only looking at these from a practical perspective, I've found a few books that can help with that. Most film maker books (Lynch on Lynch, Agitator etc.) I'll read purely out of interest and liking the film makers. Just wondering if there are practical things in those books too.

I've read David Lynch's 'Catching the Big Fish' and it was pretty damn interesting. I read it all in one day. It has like 150 chapters that are all less than 2 pages long, so obviously it doesn't get too in depth, but you get an idea of his creative processes and how crazy he is about meditation. It convinced me to start meditating.

Also I read 'Film Makers Master Class'. I forget who wrote it but it was basically this guy asked all these filmmakers (good ones too, Godard, Coen Bros, Lynch, Allen, just to name a few) the same questions and the book is just compiled of all of their various answers. The biggest lesson I learned from this book is that there is no RIGHT way to make a movie (unless you are creating for Hollywood) All these guys just go out and do what feels right, and that is how their specific style emerges. They don't plan it out, they just stay true to themselves. Which is how meditation can help.

So to answer your question, yes. I think any information on filmmaking is entertaining and helpful. But like Sonnyboo said, it will mean more to you after you've made films.

Back