Anyone own or have experience with the JVC GY-HM170UA 4KCAM?

I'm in the market for a camcorder but having a tough time deciding on whether I should get one or just wait. Right now I have my eyes set on this JVC. It's $1300 at B & H Photo. I'm gonna use it mainly to do movies and music videos. The main reason I want this one is because the price is right. I was debating whether to get this or just continue to save until I can get something higher end. The problem with that is I want to get one now... like within the next month or two. I highly doubt I'll have $2500 or more saved in two months. My budget is $1500. I've looked at the reviews and test footage and feel that it will suit my needs. I also looked at the Panasonic AG-AC90 and the Canon XA-10 but the JVC has a smaller price tag than both and I'm not really feeling the touchscreen on the Canon.

So if you have experience with this JVC or camcorders in general any advice will be helpful
:D

I'm in the market for a camcorder but having a tough time deciding on whether I should get one or just wait. Right now I have my eyes set on this JVC. It's $1300 at B & H Photo. I'm gonna use it mainly to do movies and music videos. The main reason I want this one is because the price is right. I was debating whether to get this or just continue to save until I can get something higher end. The problem with that is I want to get one now... like within the next month or two. I highly doubt I'll have $2500 or more saved in two months. My budget is $1500. I've looked at the reviews and test footage and feel that it will suit my needs. I also looked at the Panasonic AG-AC90 and the Canon XA-10 but the JVC has a smaller price tag than both and I'm not really feeling the touchscreen on the Canon.

So if you have experience with this JVC or camcorders in general any advice will be helpful
:D

Is there a reason you're looking at small sensor camcorders for narrative and music videos? Most work in those categories is shot with large sensor cameras these days.

In your price range, the best large sensor, camcorder-style camera is the $1599 Sony NEX-FS100U (body only) with an $16.99 Canon FD to NEX adapter and some inexpensive FD lenses.

Here is what this camcorder can do:

Narrative

Sophie

DIVORCE [short film]

Documentary

Portrait of a Boxer

MOULTON BICYCLE COMPANY - MADE IN ENGLAND

Fashion/Glamor

GOING IN FOR THE KILL - Directed by Antonio Pantoja Starring Morgan Spencer Whitworth (NSFW)

Sports

Martin Sonka "See You Up There" unique plane/parachute formation (FS100 and GoPro)

Keegan Wright - Boulder Dashing

Live Music Performance

Holly: Tightrope

This is a much better camcorder for filmmaking and music videos than the HM-170UA.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Yes, very helpful. I think my problem is I don't understand the importance of sensor size. I've always wondered why sensor size matters. I'm gonna read up on it. Looks like I'll be better off hanging on to my money a little while longer!

Thanks!

Just to confuse things, I would put the alternative perspective on this. I shoot on MFT sensors and am completely comfortable with shooting music videos for paying customers on this. Just completed a paying gig with a band who were delighted with their vid shot on a GH4 and see if you can tell me the difference between this and a full frame 'look.':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etT4rVrGyXc

So what's the difference? There are lots of differences but ultimately, it is possible to get a good result on an iPhone so it is about skill with a camera.

I'm pretty cool about whatever camera is being used. Unless someone out there wants to give me their Arri Alexa. Happy to take all donations.

Back