• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anyone know where I can get blu rays and dvd cover made for a project?

I have made several copies of a project me and some filmmaking friends have worked on. However, I have called quite a few video production companies where I live and none of them make DVD and blu ray covers particularly. Does anybody know what kind of company would handle that, that I should look into if it's not a video production company's area of work?

Thanks for the input.

Graphic designers / Desktop publishers.
Because it is graphic design and it involves printing, it is not the core business of video production companies.
However: I often 'design' my own covers and have them printed properly at the local printshop. I cut them myself from A4: I got a papercutter from that, because scissors are too sloppy.

Okay thanks. I could do the whole printshop thing, and design my own. Do you know any places that sell the DVD and blu ray covers though? I called quite a few Home Entertainment stores, including walmart and they don't even sell them.

When it comes to designing my own, is their any program I should use for that to get the formats and measurements right? I could also put an add out for a graphic designer as well.

Generally the company you go through such as Discmakers has the DVD cover or Blu-Ray cover design template you download and use in Photoshop or a program similar. They basically walk you through the entire process by having the directions right on there.

I'll design it for you. Assuming we'll go back and forth about 50 times because you don't have the language to communicate what you want, let's say the price is a flat rate of $5,000

Well I have had a few graphic artists interested in the job. But they never had made DVD covers before and since I haven't, I wouldn't know where to guide them if they need it. Should I keep looking? Cause if they cannot make the actual cover, and are just doing the design, I feel I can do it myself in photoshop or something.

Why are you making this so complicated? Why can’t you work this out for yourself? What do you even mean by a “places that sell the DVD and blu ray covers”?

The term you are looking for is ‘inlay’. You need somebody (i.e. a graphic designer, which could be you) to design the cover for you. You can do that in Photoshop/GIMP. The image will need to be the correct size’ for which you can find any number of templates on Google. You then need it printed. Google “DVD Inlay Printing”. The companies you find will deliver to you a piece of paper with the image you supplied printed on it. It will be the correct dimensions to slip into the DVD case. To save money, If you own a decent printer, you could print them yourself on A4 paper, or get a print shop to do it for you. Either way, you’ll have to cut the image to the correct size to fit your case.

Why do you think there’s something special about printing DVD inlays, compared to printing any other picture?

Well I have had a few graphic artists interested in the job. But they never had made DVD covers before and since I haven't, I wouldn't know where to guide them if they need it. Should I keep looking? Cause if they cannot make the actual cover, and are just doing the design, I feel I can do it myself in photoshop or something.

OMG.

A graphic designer just needs the measurements of the cover and they can make it all happen.
Bookcover, A0, DVD cover, flyer: it's all just surfaces with dimensions that graphic designers use as a canvas for the design. AND they at least know how to deliver it to a printer so it comes out the right size with the proper guidelines to cut it out of the paper properly.

Actually, people all over the world hire people every day to do things they can't do themselves AND if they hire capable people they don't have to 'guide them' except from giving information about what they want and need. The 'how' is why the hired ones are the experts.

If you decide to buy an avocado, are you first trying to grow and sell them yourselves so you can guide your grocerer with selling it to you?

Last edited:
Making the covers are pretty easy. I have done many short run (200 - 500 BluRay & DVD). Can show you many examples. I use an Epson Artisan 50 printer that does discs (get the high quality water proof discs in DVD-R or BluRay). They look every bit as good as a professional run, maybe even better. The ink cost can be a tad high so try to avoid a lot of color (ink) on your discs. And I have cases of (bought discounted) BluRay and DVD covers/cases. I use a high quality print paper for the cover inserts and it looks great, but can also be taken to a printing company for short runs. If you print your own, use a paper cutter. I touch up in Photoshop but print in PrintShop (MAC version). Contact me at ihaunt@att.net if you want and I will send you samples of work I have done. I am not for hire. But I might be able to make a few suggestions that will get you on your way -- if I know exactly what you want. Good luck!

A primer for dealing with H44.

Step 1: Run for the hills.

That's about it. It's impossible to explain H44 without you taking the H44 experience. I'd say have fun, but I know it isn't going to happen.

Okay thanks. Well so far one of the bigger problems is finding the actual dvd and blu ray cases for purchase. I cannot find one store in town that has them and where do you get that clear plastic that holds the printed cover in place, that will actually stick to the case and do so?

Back