Anyone here gone and made a full out feature on the T2i or 7D?

I was just wondering if anybody knows of any good features done on either camera? Obviously they are both wildly popular and practically everyone and their dog is making short films and cool little videos with these awesome cameras. I recently purchased a T2i and have been slowly building a mild lens collection along with some other equipment to hopefully produce my own short film in the very near future.

So, aside from all the great footage, clips, short videos / films (under 15 min lets say), has anyone really just gone for it and made a full out film, half hour or more with either camera? The closest I've seen is one called "The Bridge" (absolutely fantastic and inspiring btw) which is on vimeo, but its really the only one I've come across. Anybody here have their own film I could check out?

I guess I'm just looking for some inspiration, I definitely know I have it in me to create something visually arresting and captivating for 5-10 minutes, but a real scripted movie for an hour or more is a whole different ball game. I'd love to see a good example.

Old abandoned ranger's station in SE Kentucky. Dark brown walls, dark brown wood floor, dark brown wood ceiling. Window covered with awning so very limited natural light even in daytime. Literally getting no bounce from anything. It was a literal freaking black hole in there.

Back to the point, even if you CAN make it work without the additional gear, it's the good/fast/cheap triangle. It just slows down production. A follow focus is less takes on focus . A matte box makes you not have to stop and screw a filter on and off, a monitor stops framing errors you can't see in the tiny monitor. That means faster production and that means lower costs if you have daily shooting expenses or locations for a limited amount of time.

Old abandoned ranger's station in SE Kentucky. Dark brown walls, dark brown wood floor, dark brown wood ceiling. Window covered with awning so very limited natural light even in daytime. Literally getting no bounce from anything. It was a literal freaking black hole in there.

Back to the point, even if you CAN make it work without the additional gear, it's the good/fast/cheap triangle. It just slows down production. A follow focus is less takes on focus . A matte box makes you not have to stop and screw a filter on and off, a monitor stops framing errors you can't see in the tiny monitor. That means faster production and that means lower costs if you have daily shooting expenses or locations for a limited amount of time.

Sure, a matte box and monitor would be nice to have. But here's my question --

How is any of this any different than from somebody using a prosumer camcorder? Cuz I believe that's the alternative for the OP, and many low-budget filmmakers. Cheap prosumer camcorder or DSLR.

Of all the things you're talking about that will slow down a production, the only thing a prosumer camcorder has that DSLR doesn't is a built-in ND filter. It takes ten seconds to screw on an ND filter. Otherwise, the downsides you mention are exactly the same for a DSLR or a prosumer camcorder.

And all this talk about light. You make it sound like you need a whole bunch of extra light needed to acheive wide depth of field with a DSLR. This is simply not true. The amount of light needed to shoot any scene with a prosumer camcorder is more than enough to shoot with DSLR, even at f8. If you can do it with a prosumer camcorder, you can do it with a DSLR, but easier.

What got us to this point was...

A prosumer camcorder probably has built in ND filters. It has a bigger and moveable screen. You still have view through the eyepiece with the screen on. It has naturally deeper DOF so you have to pull focus less. Out of the box with nothing else added it's more ready to shoot than a DSLR is. DSLR has a huge list of advantages too, and I am on the bandwagon. I'm buying one. Again, I'm just saying there are people who prefer prosumer cams for a reason.

This is all good to know, if anyone has a link to their movie made on either camera I would honestly love to check it out. After shooting a bit of test footage with my T2i, and after color correcting etc, it almost gives me goosebumps. I mean for $650 including my 50mm lens, I am making something that almost looks comparable to film. Its just shocking that we have this kind of ability now, for so cheap, its amazing.

This is definitely turning into the golden age for amateurs with no money like myself, to make a real movie. I just get so pumped up after checking out all the great stuff coming out lately. Love it!

This is all good to know, if anyone has a link to their movie made on either camera I would honestly love to check it out. After shooting a bit of test footage with my T2i, and after color correcting etc, it almost gives me goosebumps. I mean for $650 including my 50mm lens, I am making something that almost looks comparable to film. Its just shocking that we have this kind of ability now, for so cheap, its amazing.

This is definitely turning into the golden age for amateurs with no money like myself, to make a real movie. I just get so pumped up after checking out all the great stuff coming out lately. Love it!

They are pretty damn awesome, BUT as we have hashed out in this and many other threads they aren't a panacea. They have limitations and to take full advantage of them you still need lights, a good tripod, and various other gear (on top of a good story, good actors, a knowledge of basic filmmaking principles like how to shoot coverage, etc...). They make it somewhat less expensive to get good looking footage, but that's just one small piece of the puzzle.

Back