Anyone have a home theatre ?

I'm building a home theatre in my basement. The room is framed so I know the length of the room is 17 ft x 14 ft. I've been looking at DLP projectors and to me Optoma H31 is a pretty versatile projector. Does anyone have any other suggestions in the $1000 to $1500 price range.?

For a screen I will try a piece of 1/4" hard board cut to 45" x 80" and paint it with a gray tinted semigloss paint. For seating I have been looking at referbed theatre seats. If I figure it correctly I can fit 12 seats in the room. Sound system Haven't decided yet I would like something THX certified but money does matter. Any suggestions would be nice here also. I'm looking for a source of the heavy sound deadning carpet, like they put on real theatre walls. Any alternate material suggestions ?

Thanks

Mike :)

Do the DIY thing. Beyond costing 1/5th of the price, when people come over to watch your flicks you can tell them you built your HT. And your projector too :)

The only reason I don't necessarily like recommending lumenlabs is because they seem to have a real problem keeping the stuff in their store in stock. But I say buy the plans and go with it. its only $19 or something.

He orders stuff direct from the manufacturer (in China I think) so .. sometimes there's delays in his shipments, but the lenses are top notch, and set up perfectly for the plans. They also have a number of different design options available. The other big bonus for the DIY projector is that the bulbs last about 10 times as long, and cost a fraction of the price (like $30 instead of $300+) ;)

just recently purchased a ben-q DLP ($1200) and an 80" screen. its in my living room which sucks, any daylight seeping through makes it impossible to watch anything during the day, kinda like watching a movie in a theater with the lights on. but at night, its beautiful. combined with surround sound, its loads of fun!

GorillaFilmmaker said:
...any daylight seeping through makes it impossible to watch anything during the day, kinda like watching a movie in a theater with the lights on. ...

Pick yourselve up some blackout cloth (also known as "three pass acrylic backed cotton twill") and make shades to block out the sun, it'll be darker than a movie theater. ;)

These are great suggestions

I like the doit yourself thing to a point building my own projector ? that may be pushing thigs a little. I do want to get this done in my lifetime. I have never seen anything about building your ow projector... what a riot. Maybe I will check back when he gets the version 2 plans done. I would like to have a portable projector that I wouldn't have to worry about someone smashing or running off with. Home brew usually deters that kind of thing.

The sound deadening pannels by Keelercabels look great. Not overly abvious. Looks like I could build a tear down and stow-away sound booth with that sort of system. A little bigger panels and a hige here and another hinge there and Voila. ( My wife took Frinch I didn't SP? )

I gotta add this: Since I'm new here what I have seen is VERY GOOD, I'm glad to see there is a place where folks can spen a little time talking and helping each other with film / movie related stuff. Kudos to all involved!

Mike :)

Back