• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Any body have a short film that's finished?

I've been writing music for quite a while and I'd like to shift gears and take a crack at scoring a short film. If anybody has one that can be sent without the score track, or one that has no score. I'd like to be able to give it a go. I don't want to sign on to do it for a film that's still in production because I don't want to hold up anybody's project since I've never done it before. So if you have a short piece that you wouldn't mind somebody practicing on. Let me know.

Thanks

There are a bunch in the Screening Room section.

Yeah, but he needs one with the music track taken out. :)

Yeah, dude. I've got a 7-minute short you can practice on. I really like the music I already have, and no matter how awesome your music is, the cut I have is definitely a final cut. But for the sake of practice, heck yeah, it'd be fun to see what you come up with! PM me your email, and I'll send you a vimeo link, sans music.

Thanks Murdock & Cracker (Sounds like an 80's buddy cop film together like that!)

I found that section of the forum you mentioned but yes, what I'm ideally looking for is a film with the dialog and sound effects in place but the score track missing.

There are a few that have no dialog or sound effects at all so I suppose I could just get rid of the sound all together and work from there but what I'd really like to do is put together a piece designed to integrate with the action, dialog and other sounds.

Ideally I'd like to get my hands on a higher res version to get a real feel for it but beggars can't be choosers ;)

Thanks again!

Yep, heard you the first time. ;)

Yeah, dude. I've got a 7-minute short you can practice on. I really like the music I already have, and no matter how awesome your music is, the cut I have is definitely a final cut. But for the sake of practice, heck yeah, it'd be fun to see what you come up with! PM me your email, and I'll send you a vimeo link, sans (without) music.

Some advice that helped me a lot: take some old films for practice. Plenty of stuff out there that doesn't have music, or you could even just mute all the audio (though it's good to learn how to mix instrument timbres so they don't clash with dialogue).

When I started, some of my favorites to practice on were Kurosawa's "Dreams", Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" and "Jacob's Ladder". They were good things for me to practice technique I was reading about and give directors on my first couple gigs something to see.

Oh, and don't worry about taking your time. Good music always takes time (though some directors, particularly in the early stages don't understand that). You will get faster the more you do, but more importantly, you'll learn how long it takes you and how well you work under deadlines.

If you're really up for pushing yourself, find a local or semi-local 48 hour film project team that needs a composer. It's HARD, but you'll learn a lot, particularly about working with others and working fast.

Best of luck!

Back