• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Another FCP Export Question...

I have some footage that needs to be uploaded for 'client'.

I was told I could shoot standard digital footage, just make sure I shot in 16:9 letterbox.

I imported my footage and began to export it, but the footage of the interview looks 'squashed'. I'm not sure what I might have done incorrectly. I expect maybe I need to either re-import the footage or export it differently. I don't know which. I do know, as usual, the clock is ticking.

Any idea why my shot is squashed?

-- spinner :cool:

EDIT: Maybe I captured it wrong...it looks okay in FCP.

It's probably in your export settings, if it looks fine in Final Cut.

How did you import? Mini-DV tape through a camera or deck, imported at full resolution?

Are you using Compressor, or just QuickTime settings? What codec are you using to export?

And check your settings for "anamorphic" and the size of the pixels - square, ntsc, etc.

I just went through this, so I'll try to give you a hand, if I can...

gelder

It's probably in your export settings, if it looks fine in Final Cut.

How did you import? Mini-DV tape through a camera or deck, imported at full resolution?

Are you using Compressor, or just QuickTime settings? What codec are you using to export?

And check your settings for "anamorphic" and the size of the pixels - square, ntsc, etc.

I just went through this, so I'll try to give you a hand, if I can...

gelder

I imported by video camcorder, mini dv tape at full resolution as far as I know (my 'import' camera isn't used to do anything but import, no problems so far)

I was asked not to use compressor, not sure what codec I should use because if I shoot in standard, do I need to change the setting for my capture AND my export? I was told to just use standard (the camera I shoot on is a standard definition DVX)

There is a anamorphic NTSC 48 khz, should I have used that to capture?

Thanks, I appreciate the help alot...

Where do I change my export settings? I thought I would go to A/V settings, but maybe not....:huh:

EDIT: This is the stuff I don't know much about. I can figure out how to make the project, but different captures and exports is where I really have alot of trouble. One of the Gurus should write about this one. Or suggest where to look specifically for a tutorial...

Last edited:
Okay.....

I just did QuickTime conversion and it looks okay, but I don't pretend to know the difference between regular QuickTime and QuickTime Conversion or which one to use when.

Figuring stuff out by accident doesn't help you learn it...:rolleyes: At least I think I figured it out, should I trust my eyes?

EDIT: ...and by the way...where can I read up on codecs and when to use which setting and all that?

Last edited:
Sorry, I got pulled away - my gf's in another country, and she Skyped me for the first time in days. Internet access is spotty where she is.

Are you on a Mac? here's something on QT and codecs for Macs, with links to some extra codec info. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3523

Since it sounds like you've stumbled upon it, you're probably in decent shape (if it looks right, playing back, it probably is right).

What I do for export is go under File>Export>Using QuickTime Conversion

When that box pops up, I choose QuickTime Movie from the Format drop down, then select settings by clicking Options. under settings you can choose your compression (including None as an option). As I said, I usually choose H.264 (usually plays on most QT versions) - this is in the "Compression Type" dropdown after going in to "Settings". Choose "Key Frames">Automatic and Best Quality for the Encoding. Also choose "Best" on the Slider under Compression. Click OK.

Back to the Options, click "Size" - here's where your sizing problem may have been. You want it to be the same size as your video, which should be 4:3, or 720x480. You may have had a letterboxed dimension in there (1240x720, or something), which lead to the squished look. Since you shot on a DVX camera using letterbox, the actual frame your exporting/dealing is still 4:3, just with black bars on the top and bottom to create the letterbox effect while you shoot.

Click OK when you get your dimensions right. Then go to Audio, use AAC, and a Normal to Best quality setting. I un-click "Fast Start For Internet Streaming", then choose OK.

Name your file and export.

Hope that helps the understanding, a little. I'm still a little murky on it.

gelder

Last edited:
Steve,

You weren't murky at all. I have a friend who is an editor in Detroit and he gave me the advice that you did. The only exception was I didn't use AAC because he said it was more important for music and that wasn't what I was doing. The people I did the shoot for were very happy with the results and said they would contact me if there was any other projects in my area.

So thanks for the help! I appreciate it :yes:

Back