• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "and then we were small" - trailer (2011)

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this site and I was very happy to see how supporting this community of artists, filmmakers, video artists, choreographers, etc. I've been working on this short film for about a year now. I am an amateur filmmaker and I am always looking to learn from other filmmakers! This is just a trailer for my short, and I would love to hear from you all! We are thinking of submitting it to a few film festivals. So here it is, and thanks again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBptBFU1m0

Equipment:

Canon T2i
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Edited with:
Final Cut Pro 7

Music: "I've Been Away" - The Museum Pieces

Last edited:
I thought it was terrific. Great feeling to it. I like the spinning thing but there was a moment around 64 second mark it seemed a bit too much. That song is perfect. I'd like to see this film.

Last edited:
If the film is as good as the trailer, it'll be a pleasure to watch. I hope you'll post it here soon.

The song is great. Did you ask permission to use it?

I think that was a solid trailer on many levels. Fun, energetic, good song, solid photography...I just wish I saw a little more to bring me into that world.

This may be me being a little too picky, but the very first shot of the trailer had some red flags for me...the focus was loose...in and out...which leads me to believe there will be many more shots like that, which I personally am distracted by. DOF is great, but it should be clean unless absolutely purposeful.

I also thought the quote 'when was the last time you felt alone'....the alone looked like 'done'...the text didn't work for me. I could have sworn it said 'when was the last time you felt done.' Just another picky thing...

Other than those few critiques...I think it looked like something I'd like to see. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I noticed the font being a little bit of a distraction. I have been told by a few people about the part where it says, "...you felt alone", people have come to me and thought it said "...you felt done". So it is becoming an issue more and more. The focus at the beginning of the trailer was intentional, but it isn't something that is common throughout the duration of the film. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I noticed the font being a little bit of a distraction. I have been told by a few people about the part where it says, "...you felt alone", people have come to me and thought it said "...you felt done". So it is becoming an issue more and more. The focus at the beginning of the trailer was intentional, but it isn't something that is common throughout the duration of the film. Thanks a lot!

Cool.

Hmmm...the focus at the beginning is intentional? The cam op/DP meant to overshoot focus and then come back to it? Odd...why is that I wonder...I'm seriously curious, not trying to troll. I'm curious why DP's want their work to look messy and amateur nowa'days.

Thanks.

Cool.

Hmmm...the focus at the beginning is intentional? The cam op/DP meant to overshoot focus and then come back to it? Odd...why is that I wonder...I'm seriously curious, not trying to troll. I'm curious why DP's want their work to look messy and amateur nowa'days.

Thanks.

We had many different shots in the coffee shop. What we wanted to bring in that shot was her recounting a memory that seems rather blurry in her head.

I guess it really comes down to preference. As much as I respect (and appreciate) the smooth and conventional style of cinematography, I felt that it didn't fit this film. I think we are influenced in many different ways with cinematography, whether this is Neo-Realist to French New Wave to Hollywood, to Asia, etc. I find myself connecting much closer with the camera moving as freely as possible, so my actors do not feel limited in their movement. I take a lot of my directional and cinematic influences through theatre. I think the messy style really comes from filmmakers of lesser technical approach to a much rather organic level (not to take away from how important the technical approach is, because you can have both). I don't know if that makes sense, but I feel when I approached this film as clean as possible, it often seems amateurish to me as well as restrictive in movement. However, I don't believe that there is a right or wrong answer. I'm glad that you are curious about this cinematic choice, and I think the answer really comes down to directional preference.

If the film is as good as the trailer, it'll be a pleasure to watch. I hope you'll post it here soon.

The song is great. Did you ask permission to use it?

Yes I did, I had contacted the band (The Museum Pieces) and the record label, and we worked out a deal. Thanks for asking.

I thought it was terrific. Great feeling to it. I like the spinning thing but there was a moment around 64 second mark it seemed a bit too much. That song is perfect. I'd like to see this film.

Thanks for the input. Now that I watch it, I definitely see your point. I had other footage I was thinking of using, but I wanted to keep the trailer as ambiguous as possible. That definitely can be risky when attracting audiences, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Yes I did, I had contacted the band (The Museum Pieces) and the record label, and we worked out a deal.

If you don't mind my asking, what was the deal? Did they ask money upfront or only if your short becomes a success?

And when can we expect to see the whole film?

If you don't mind my asking, what was the deal? Did they ask money upfront or only if your short becomes a success?

And when can we expect to see the whole film?

Well the deal was an undisclosed amount for security reasons, but it was an upfront amount with no additional royalties or amounts, etc. regardless of success or any circumstance. It was actually great being in contact with them, since I had seen them in a show years ago. Music licensing can be tricky, but I was quite lucky with this band.

We are still actually deciding on that, because we are exploring film festival possibilities, but I would say it will have a release in mid September 2011. Thanks for asking!

It looks real good. Imagery gives a sort of dream state feeling. The music fits the picture very well and sets the mood for a romance type movie.

Last edited:
Back