An offer for distribution...

I have received an offer for distribution of my no-budget feature "Tiburon" and am not sure if I should take it.

The money is negligible and the first profits go to the producer's rep and distributor - not much, and I'm not really concerned about the money - it's more of the fact that I am not receiving any money up front and the rep and the distributor will be the ones to profit at the outset, yet I am the one who put the BS&T's into the production of this film.

I will be the first to admit that it is not a very good film - I made it by myself(writer, director, actor, editor, etc), but it is a good example of what can be accomplished by a solo filmmaker. The initial intention of this project was my continuing education - the experience of performing each aspect of making a feature length film in order to better understand the synergistic relationships, thus, making myself a more competent writer and director.

I don't expect money - I am just not sure if it's right for someone to profit from my work, when I most likely won't.

It's a superficial ego boost to say I got distribution, but I am not sure there are any real positives to be gained as those in the industry will see it for what it is - a sort of clearing house for mediocre films where the buyers are picking films up for cheap in hopes that the artist's future work will garner attention and allow them to exploit what they bought for next to nothing.

As you can tell, I am weighing the pros and cons of this offer and would appreciate any feedback/input/opinions...

Thanks!

Chris

Why did I just receive a notice of "infraction" for this thread?

"You have received an infraction at IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum. Reason: Advertising/Promoting In Discussions"

For advertising or promoting. Really?

I asked a serious question so that I could make a decision on distribution.

Perhaps some of the responses advertised or promoted.

How should I have gone about this?

Chris

P.S. Thanks for all the responses to my question - they are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back