• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

An affordable DSLR camera stabilizer

This is for the DSLR filmmakers on a tight budget but would still like to get footage without the shakiness you get from holding the camera by hand. It is a shoulder mount and a Steadicam made out of wood. I won't claim that it can replace a $1000 rig but for $80(+free shipping), it will make a big improvement from hand held.
There will be links to more test footage once we upload them on to youtube.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/911359208/steadi-shoulder

FAQ
How much does it weigh?
It weighs 4.8lbs which is including the 2.5lb counter weight.

If you have any questions feel free to message me or ask in the comments.

Last edited:
Sure man.

That's... different, for sure. Out of curiosity, why wood? It seems like it would be bulky and heavy. I'm not totally opposed to it, just need to be convinced on why your product is better than a heavy duty aluminum Manfrotto monopod that only weighs a few pounds, or even a $30 plastic shoulder rig.

Good luck with it!

We chose wood mainly because of aesthetics, cost, and strength. Aluminum is definitely strong,and lightweight but more expensive. We might decide on making an aluminum version later on when we buy more equipment. Plastic is cheap but it looks like its cheap, and its not as sturdy as wood.

Weight is not too much of a problem since the rig weighs 2.3lb if you take off the counter weight. Although holding any amount of weight for several hours is tiring.

In my opinion wood looks very nice, we tried to make it look antique with different stains.

As for the monopod, it seems like it does work nicely but generally, in this type of rig, lighter doesn't necessarily mean better. Our rig has a side bar which helps reduce the left and right shaking. Nonetheless, the monopod is more portable than this rig.

Last edited:
Hey, you did anser questions, thanks haha.

I'll agree with you, the wood stain is a cool look, if a little unique in the industry.

You're handles look, well, handy too. One or two of those in a kit couldn't hurt.

Good luck man!

You can make your own stabilizer for around $30. I did and it works.

I did that too, worked great but I got tired of setting it up and down as it was part of my tripod so i had to use it as a normal tripod at times of course.

I gave up and decided to buy a 'real' one, decided that I may as well start building up my professional equipment.

Although I made a slider that worked perfectly, no hassles at all

Back