• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

American Cinematographer Manual....question..

This book was recommended to me by a teacher so I was thinking bout getting it as my intrest in cinematography has been growing. I've noticed that the new 9th edition is two volumes. Is it worth getting this one and lugging around an extra book or should I just stick with the 8th edition? Or is there any large differences in any of the editions (even earlier ones)?

If you're a cinematographer shooting film, yes. It's not a teaching book it's a reference manual.

I bought the magazine for the first time last month, is it compilations of articles from it? If so, it probably tends to focus on specific films, with in depth discussions with the cinematographers on how they produced certain looks, what their theory was, etc... The newer volumes may have some digital, but in spite of digital's fans, 95% of the big name DPs still shoot film, so fim focused for sure.

No, it's a manual. Nothing to do with articles. It's a technical manual for cinematographers.

Also on amazon etc. If you ever think you're going to need to thread an Arri, this is the reference.

I'm a bit surprised there's not an iphone edition.

Publisher's description:

Volume One is the reference guide containing in-depth chapters by noted professionals such as Framing for Television by Dave Kenig; Comparisons of 1.85, Anamorphic and Super 35 Film Formats by Rob Hummel; Anamorphic Cinematography by John Hora, ASC; Lenses by Iain Neil; Motion-Control Cinematography by Richard Edlund, ASC; Aerial Cinematography by Jon Kranhouse; Underwater Cinematography by Pete Romano, ASC; Digital Postproduction for Film by Bill Feightner and Robert L. Eicholz; Shooting 16mm Color Negative for Blowup to 35mm by Irwin Young, etc. Volume Two is the field guide starts with camera section assembled by Jon Fauer, ASC and continues with all of the tables and charts for quick reference while working on the set. Each book is 6x9 with over 400 pages. Each volume also contains the complete table of contents and index for both books for ease of use. More than 30 new charts, including lighting intensities for more than 90 fixtures. A completely revised camera section, rewritten by Jon Fauer, ASC A new article on digital intermediates by Bill Feightner and Robert L. Eicholz of EFilm A new chapter on hanging miniatures by visual-effects wizard Dan Curry Tak's tips from Panavision lens expert Tak Miyagishima The most extensive section yet on motion-picture formulas, written by Evans Wetmore, vice president of advanced engineering at 20th Century Fox A revised chapter on motion-control by visual-effects legend Richard Edlund, ASC, who has included the latest updates on digital technology

Last edited:
Back