• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Alien Planet Test Frame

ME21Test.jpg

Here is a test frame to represent the coloring of how I'm thinking of creating a binary star's planet atmosphere look on a Earth-like M-Class planet in the Sirius star system that has both a red sun and a yellow sun. I'm using an 8% red filter to create the effect.

This is an HD frame that I captured with Nero Show Time to be able to show you this frame.

Comments and suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like Earth.

Majel says...you must determine what this planet's atmosphere is composed of, how big and how far away, each of these stars is in proximity to this planet and what range of the electromagnetic spectrum this planet's natives can *see* in. :D

Oh man.

We filmed most of the production where it will look like this:

Search&Destroy.jpg

Since the planet is rated as Earth-like, I was hope we can get away with plant life like on Earth like they did with Battlestar Galactica.

The tint is just a reminder they have the 2 suns where one is red and the other yellow. I'm hoping to show as the series progresses that Angela, Gail, Roberta, and Gail's sister Summer
will discover the true ancestors of humans from Earth came from the stars. And, Artemis will help lead them to solving that mystery.

That's just my bad picture framing with my camera where the fence shows all the way in the back.

So, it's not worth the atmospheric effects then?

Last edited:
Just a thought to throw out there - maybe changing the color of the sky (thus changing the color of sunlight) and bleaching everything would give more of an alien, yet familiar look.

On one hand, if you're going to create another world, why not create a REALLY different other world?

On the other hand, hot cyborg women, so who is going to be watching the background? ;)

I agree with camvader; even something minimal like changing the sky color would make a (no pun intended) world of difference. It's either that or put the two suns in over half the shots to really push the "binary star" thing. Either way, can't wait to see the film!

Budget limits a lot of things with science fiction both for television and low/no indie budget films. My DP was saying the ladies in their skin tight outfits already opens up markets for the production. The ladies were asking for extra photos of themselves because they even liked the way they looked in the production.

I agree with CamVader. I'll work on the sky. Two suns alone should be enough of a reality check they are away on an alien world.

I did spend money on these effects:

254799_1926702961977_1074248755_32105273_5602915_n.jpg

Here, a cyborg stumbles upon some of the horrors going on in this world.

Last edited:
Definitely! The actresses should use shots from this for their portfolio; they all look awesome. You've definitely got the costume/design angle down, and down really well. The pile of skulls looks great too. Can't stress enough how much I'm loving what I've seen of your stuff so far!

Looks like Earth.

Majel says...you must determine what this planet's atmosphere is composed of, how big and how far away, each of these stars is in proximity to this planet and what range of the electromagnetic spectrum this planet's natives can *see* in. :D

Put that together with the fact that human skeletons fall apart in prolonged exposure to zero gravity environments and it makes perfect sense to use cyborgs for long space trips with metal skeletons and the ability to see through all spectrums of light in the electromagnetic spectrum.

That is the same reasoning why robots are being used now for long space trips because they are more adaptable to different environments in space than humans. There are at least 2 robot space probes on Mars because they are better suited for it than humans.

I'm working on this same thing right now.

You are already compositing, so that's good. Try isolating the Vegetation in AE and changing only the green leaf color.

You can use the "change to color" effect, or any of several others

If you cant get your seperation, try compressing and keying the layer in different ways, or pre CC it under the effect

To be really really really honest I think the chain-link fence in the background throws me out a bit as well as the fact that the trees look like they were planted.

Somehow "Return of the Jedi" made it work to have a straight-up forest location be convincing as an alien planet.

Maybe go out into the dense woods if feasible?

It looks like a park to me. Sorry for the brutal honesty but that's my 2 cents.

To be really really really honest I think the chain-link fence in the background throws me out a bit as well as the fact that the trees look like they were planted.

Somehow "Return of the Jedi" made it work to have a straight-up forest location be convincing as an alien planet.

Maybe go out into the dense woods if feasible?

It looks like a park to me. Sorry for the brutal honesty but that's my 2 cents.

And, I agree. So, don't feel bad for being honest. That was just my bad picture framing with my digital still camera during an on location rehearsal, it's not from the footage. I was just trying to grab a quick shot as the cast was rehearsing with our Special Forces advisor, Spiro.

We moved to areas with denser foliage for scenes where too much stuff like fences and picnic tables were showing.

Here is actually another location we were using.

Cyborgs&Humans.jpg

The whole area around here had denser foliage. We avoided areas with too much plants and uneven ground for the safety of the actors when they had to do stunts.

Last edited:
Definitely! The actresses should use shots from this for their portfolio; they all look awesome. You've definitely got the costume/design angle down, and down really well. The pile of skulls looks great too. Can't stress enough how much I'm loving what I've seen of your stuff so far!

Thank you. I'm trying my best.

We have another prop of a gored out cadavera of a woman that grossed some of the ladies out. But, it is necessary for a visual effect of how evil the silver demon hunters are. My DP was careful not to make the focus too sharp and avoid certain angles that might give it away as fake.

Here one of the SDHs is fooling around with the prop during a break.

264624_156140604456115_146345185435657_313919_6111350_n.jpg

Back