Alien: Isolation (video game)

When I first heard of this my first thought was, "How will they create a story focusing on Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda? The character is back on Earth when Ripley is on the Nostromo in Alien and has aged and died as an old woman by the time the events of Aliens take place." Well, now that question has been answered:

"Alien: Isolation is a first-person survival horror experience that “will focus on capturing the tension evoked by Ridley Scott’s 1979 classic film.” Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda, is who we’ll be playing as, as she investigates her mother’s disappearance. The game will take place 15 years after the events in the original Alien. Read on for more!"

Source - bloodydisgusting.com

Here's the link to the full article:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3271827/sega-officially-reveals-alien-isolation-coming-late-2014/

I like that they want to try and emulate the feel of the first Alien. The fact the game takes place fifteen years after the events of Alien gives room for the writers to explore a character we haven't seen in action yet. I hope they come up with a believable way for Amanda to become embroiled in the situation with the Xenomorphs. The angle of her investigating her mother is a good start. I imagine that Weyland-Yutani would become suspicious of and/or concerned about Amanda looking into things they wouldn't want anyone to know about. I'm sure they would have lied to her about Ripley's fate and to cover up anything that might be included in this game's story.

The scene in Aliens with Ripley seeing the photo of her elderly daughter is of course only in the director's cut but I consider it canon anyway because whenever I watch Aliens I watch the director's cut not the theatrical. But a point I'd like to make is that Weyland-Yutani could be lying to Ripley about what happened to her daughter. Maybe the photo Ripley sees is just fabricated with Amanda being aged using some computer software. I think that if this game is a success they will want to continue the video game franchise with Amanda as the main character in other games.

Fellow fans of the Alien movies - what do you think about this game and the story?

Last edited:
It's an Alien game that's NOT a shooter? I'm in! Seems like the perfect setting for a good survival horror game!

As for the story, can't judge it until I play it, but there's definitely potential there, and it looks great. I will definitely play this when it comes out!

I’m keen to play this.

The IGN report (possibly the one you’ve linked to (I can’t open it at the moment)) references how all previous ‘Alien’ games have taken their cues from “Aliens”, being first-person shooters. This doesn’t look like that at all. In fact, this seems to be following the trend of first-person horror adventure games. Did anybody play ‘Outlast’? If not, and you’re a fan of the genre, you really need to. If ‘Alien: Isolation’ can capture the same sort of atmosphere that they managed in ‘Outlast’, we could be in for one scary game.

Back