Alesis palmtrack handheld digital audio recorder

My camera doesnt have a mic input so I was going to use it to record my main dialogue and audio with an external mic I would buy. I also needed some info on low priced mica. I'm very tight on money ATM

It's not something I'd ever use, but it will be better than your on camera mic. You could pair it with the Rode VideoMic. Just understand that this isn't exactly quality equipment and you'll have to get rid of both when you upgrade to something of passable quality. If you can stretch your budget and get a recorder with XLR inputs that will leave you with a nice upgrade path. I'd suggest something like the Tascam DR100.

The other Tascam models are probably not much better than the Alesis you listed. The issue is the microphone input. Mini-jack high impedance microphones and cables are prone to interference. This is amplified by long cables, which are needed to use a boom. Low impedance XLR mics and cables solve that problem.

Not just phantom power, but it needs the physical XLR microphone input. Using mini-jack microphones and equipment can end up leading to a lot of headaches. If your main goal is to shoot something with a few friends for youtube, then it's fine. If you want something that's actually presentable and sounds at least somewhat professional, you need to go with something using XLR.

Mini-Jack

XLR

Okay well I'm not making and purchases anytime soon and I am a huuuuge researcher so I will definitely save up some more money and look into the options you provided. Thanks

If you want to get a Rode VideoMic ($170 w/boom & cable) paired with the PalmTrack or something similar (under $100) go right ahead. Better sound is better sound, so it's a starting point. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to upgrade, although they can be somewhat useful later on.

At the prosumer level the DR-100 and H4n both have their own problems, as do the AT897 and the NTG-2, which I have detailed in numerous posts.

You finally hit semi-pro with the PMD-661 or the FR2-LE recorders and the NTG-3 shotgun.

I'm not an equipment snob; if $300 is your budget you get what you can afford and save up for the next step up. Just be aware of the limitations.

Okay well I'm not making and purchases anytime soon and I am a huuuuge researcher so I will definitely save up some more money and look into the options you provided. Thanks

If you wait until next winter I'll be selling a DR-100 reasonably priced. Ill put you on my email calendar if you want me to let you know when it's available.

Back