Albums like "From These Wounds"?

Not entirely sure if there are many fans of this kinda music around on the board but hey, worth a shot :)
I've been pretty much listening to the Funeral album "From These Wounds" non stop all day (inspires me to write too, which is great) and I was wondering if anyone knew some albums that are similar.

Hmmm. Don't know that one, though it sounds like something I'd like (I like the Doom stuff I've heard, but don't really know the genre well). The first things that come to mind (and you may already know) are "Dopesmoker" by Sleep (AMAZING album), "Altar" by Sunn O)) and Boris, anything Opeth post-"Blackwater Park" with particular emphasis on "Ghost Reveries". If you like the dronier side of Doom, there's lots of awesome shoegazer stuff; can't recommend Jesu enough (there somewhere between classic shoegazer and metal. Heavy, but often uplifting) and the "Silver" ep is a good place to start.

Also, that might cross over, taste-wise, into dark ambient, in which case Raison d'Etre's "Within the Depth of Silence and Phormations" and Robert Rich with Lustmord's "Stalker" albums are both must-haves. And if you like your droney music to be scary, painful and evil, Swans' "Cop/Young God" should be listened to. Loudly.

Going to check out that Funeral album when I get home. Any other doom albums that you like?

Doom albums... Ummm
As The Flower Withers (My Dying Bride)
Death, Magic, Doom (Candlemass)
Monoliths and Dimensions (Sun O))) )
Alternative 4 (Anathema)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (Paradise Lost)

You can't spell Doom with Sleep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

Maybe not as "current" of a sound as you were looking for though. ;) Admittedly a bit removed from your example.

Last edited:
Sleep was the band that got me listening to the current wave of metal (and made me realize it's not all super-loud blues rock a la Black Sabbath or the hair metal I grew up with and disliked...well, except Iron Maiden, I have a soft spot for them). I heard Om was doing a split album with Current 93 (not the same kind of music at all, but one of my absolute favorites) around the same time "Dopesmoker" was re-released on vinyl. Bought it on a whim and it blew my mind. From there got into Jesu, Boris and Sunn O)), and in the other direction Isis and Pelican (heavier post-rock. Good if you like Godspeed You Black Emperor. If you don't know them, check 'em out, they're not the least bit metal but they're AMAZING, doubly so live). Moral of the story: music is awesome in any form, it just takes some looking to find what in a given genre you like!

I'll check out the albums you recommended, Semiazas! I like some of Anathema's later prog-rock stuff; I've heard their earlier stuff is very different. Always good to hear new music!

Back