• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

AFTER EFFECTS RENDERING PROBLEM!

Hi,

I'm working on this video project that is a parody of Kanye West's Power video, and obviously there are a ton of layers I'm working with. Everytime I try to render it or try to use the render queue, the rendering always stops at the same place.

In more detail, I put my composition into the render queue, and change to the proper settings, and hit "render." It goes for about 5 minutes, and at exactly 7 seconds into the composition, the yellow bar quickly jumps to the other end of the screen, indicating its done rendering. It just ends at 7 seconds, every time.

I've tried to render the actual composition using the Preview RAM but even that stops at about 24 seconds.

Do I have to change a render setting? What is my problem? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.

Look the cache and the cache limit in GB's. Something similar happened to me recently and I was at the cache limit.

If that's the case, raise the limit for now and go back and clean it out and lower it agai when you're done. Hope this works for you.

This sounds promising, but can you please tell me how to get there?

Go into project settings to see the physical location(s) of the cache(s) and what the limit was set for and raise it if you have the room. Don't forget to clean it out later. Premiere has the same type of cache system if you're using that.

I did that, but it still didn't work. Again, my problem is, is that the render queue fails at 7 seconds every time, and I don't understand why..

So you are using camera moves then?

What I'm thinking is happening is that your camera view is set to one of the cameras you are using. If you are switching out of camera view or switching to a second camera after the first 7 seconds, and your active view is set to, let's say "camera 1", then it might stop rendering after the view is switched. What exactly is happening in your 'composition' at the point that the render queue stops rendering?

So, I would check that again just to make sure.

Do you have any memory issues? How much ram do you have?

I'm starting from a single object, and zooming out (using camera and null object) to reveal all the other parts of the full composition. So, at 7 seconds, the next object emerges, and that's when it stops. I don't understand why though.

I have 9 GB ram.....it should be more than enough, but I honestly have no clue what the problem is. I've rendered out of After Effects before, and never had this problem. Maybe it's because I have so many layers and "things" going on?

I'm just trying to think of what could be happening and I'm kind of drawing a blank. I was sure it was your active camera view that was the problem.

So when you say "next object emerges" do you mean a second comp? And can you ram preview that second comp that is entering your main comp. Or is it just a large video file?

I haven't been able to solve it yet. Worst case scenario - I have to export small chunks of the video and combine them together in a Premiere project file, and export that.

The problem wasn't the "Camera 1" to "Active Camera" issue. I tried it. I tried multiple things, but always stops at 6 seconds, 13 frames. It frustrates me so much.

In the event that you are using really large files and something is going wrong because of the way the memory is used
try this:
1. Hold down the SHIFT KEY and go to EDIT>PREFERENCES>GENERAL
2. If you did hold the shift key above you will see the “secret” option at the bottom, otherwise it won't appear.
3. Click the “Secret” option and then make sure you check "Disable Layer Cache" and "Ignore sequence rendering errors". You can purge every "2" frames

This should help with other renders even if it doesn't help with this one.

Good luck. Let me know if you end up solving the problem.
Best,
Aveek

Back