Aerial shot using a Gopro and a toy airplane

Has anyone ever done this?

I need an aerial shot of something. I cannot find it on any stock footage ...

I have read about people using their Gopro cameras and attaching them to toy airplanes...however aside from the brand R.C. I don't know what sort of airplane would be best for this project.

The plane would be flying over water....so I need one that wouldn't crash because there would go the plane and the camera. However I don't want to spend a fortune. I could justify about 150 on this if it is possible.

My other option is hiring someone to fly me over this place...but that would cost way more...and my camera would probably suck...and it would be bumpy. Plus if it didn't turn out great...it would be a waste of time and money. Whereas the plane idea can come in handy for many many places.

So if anyone knows anything about this...plus I don't know how I would attach the camera to the plane without it falling off.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.:)

You want an aerial shot from the plane, right? Not of a plane?

There are plenty of quadcopters that can do this kind of thing, the DJI Phantom is probably the most common. It runs ~$500 for the copter though, and to get smooth shots you'll need a gimbal for the camera that will run another $200 or so. Plus the GoPro itself will add another $2-300 to the total. It also takes some practice to get good shots out of it.

I don't think you'll find anything that will do what you want in the $150 range. You might be able to hire someone who has a phantom to do the shot for that price. Or you could rent one, but you won't be as good with it as someone with a lot of experience. You could also probably book a helicopter ride for that price and shoot it yourself. You say your camera would suck, but if you're thinking of doing this with a GoPro it's going to be the same whether you hold it or not.

Thanks.

I am going to look into it anyway. I already have the Gopro camera. But I am going to check out the phantom...its something that has drawn my attention and want to check into it.

As far as plane rides for a shot...they run a few hundred dollars but would most likely fly to high for me to get anything good.

Back