Advice on hospital location

I'm planning a few pickup scenes for a low budget indie feature that was shot late last summer in KY and we need a hospital patient's room as our one location. I've been looking here in Los Angeles for a few weeks now and the only hospital locations I can find are way more than our budget will allow. I've also looked into standing hospital sets at some independent studios in the area and have run into the same problem.

Does anyone have any experience shooting a similar location in LA? If so, any suggestions on where to find one that is indie friendly in terms of what they charge per day?

Not certain if this helps, but have you checked with prop shops to see if you can get enough of the pieces you need to simulate a hospital room in just any old room?

We did this on one of the shows for which I AC. They rent out a house for the season, and we've used various rooms for all sorts of things. The garage has served as various locations - but we did the "hospital room" scene in the living room of the house.

We had the green curtain setup around the hospital bed (both rentals) and a bunch of miscellaneous equipment. I saw at least an oscilliscope in there, all sorts of stuff that doesn't actually belong in a hospital room. The room is really narrow, so when we needed to change a camera angle, we just rotated the set pieces 90 degrees and left the camera where it was.

Not certain if this solution would work for you. If you just need the one room, I bet you could make it work. If you need the exterior, several hallways, check-in point, etc then I'm not certain how that would work.

Up here we have a place called the Prop-Co-Op which is usually pretty good at helping out indies. I imagine there is something similar in LA.

Depending on how "hospital" you need the room to look, check out college health clinics, even elementary and high schools have nurses and may have a "room".

I'm planning a few pickup scenes for a low budget indie feature that was shot late last summer in KY and we need a hospital patient's room as our one location. I've been looking here in Los Angeles for a few weeks now and the only hospital locations I can find are way more than our budget will allow. I've also looked into standing hospital sets at some independent studios in the area and have run into the same problem.

Does anyone have any experience shooting a similar location in LA? If so, any suggestions on where to find one that is indie friendly in terms of what they charge per day?

What about student hospitals, or a school or college they have a nurses room, a lecturer of mine used the college nurses room for a short film and it looked authentic

I second this recommendation. Did this for one of my movies:

RoseHospitalsmall.jpg

Back