advice on a new laptop to get?

alright well so far i have an asus with everything i need, sick, super fast, runs anyting i need.. but it just seems like its not going to hold up for very long for me.. people have told me asus breaks easily, it already does this wierd loud noise randomly when picked up, the mous freezes and ill have to such my laptop then bring it back up, and all this other stuff..

what other brands are good to get? i need one that can obviousl hold hd film, can run multiple programs at a time, good graphics card, ram, memory, all that, nd obviously something good editing on.. anything suggestions? i could always go the easy, save and effecient way with a mac, but i dot really want a mac..

my price range is around 1000 atm

Asus is a good brand.
Mac is not the best. Dont drink the cool-aid :P

Every laptop is disposable. They only last so long and that shelf life varies depending on the user. Ideally you would edit on a desktop. You cant get the ram and video you really need for editing in a laptop. You can get close, but the price is ridiculous.

Look on newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Find your price range and specs you want, then read the user reviews on each.

For the same money as a decent laptop you could build a really nice desktop.

I'd only ever buy a Macbook Pro as a laptop. Macbooks and the Air aren't bad but if I was going that small, I'd prefer an iPad.

Then again, I've been a Mac person for the better part of thirty years (fifteen if you only count from the first purchase... twenty if you count from the first ownership :D).

You can buy the 2011 13" macbook pro for $1019 refurbished off of apple's website. My friend has one and it runs premiere/after effects/final cut/motion with no problems.

I always go refurbished from apple, it's cheaper for just as good as far as I'm concerned. Also, it makes the price more competitive with a pc equivalent.

Asus is a good brand.
Mac is not the best. Dont drink the cool-aid :P

Every laptop is disposable. They only last so long and that shelf life varies depending on the user. Ideally you would edit on a desktop. You cant get the ram and video you really need for editing in a laptop. You can get close, but the price is ridiculous.

Look on newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Find your price range and specs you want, then read the user reviews on each.

For the same money as a decent laptop you could build a really nice desktop.

wow thank you for that response, it helped ALOT..
i just dont like the mac interface and how it is set up to tell ya the truth.. i used to all the time in video productions class and i always would just frustrated and would just stop editing nd wait till i got home to my shitty computer.. and about the 13" i was looking at that actually but it doesnt have the same grpics card adn shit as the more expensive ones so it turned me off to it.. thqnks everybody or the help so far:

and i did get your biextual joke, good one :) haha

what other brands are good to get?....

my price range is around 1000 atm

In your price range, you cannot get a very good video-editing machine.

Usually the best laptops for video editing will be very close to the best for gaming.

What I did is read the advice on the "videoguys" website.
First choice would be to have it made up DIY.
Second is to get an HP workstation, but this is way out of your price range.
Third choice is to get a Sager customized configuration, but this is minimum 1700 USD.
Fourth choice might be to look at the Sony WPCF1590X. With 10% discount discount coupon, this runs under 1300 USD.

With your budget, I would try to get the best B-stock (refurbished) model I could, with the strongest components in all the categories you need.

-You should try to get at least 500 GB hard drive with 7200 RPM
-Intel i7 chip or at least i5
-Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. (People say Windows 7 is worse than XP, but the latest software from most of the major companies will be compatible with products from all the other major companies.)
-very important is the graphics chip: best would be nVidia Quardro FX, but on some laptops it is not available. Upgrading a graphics chip costs HUNDREDS more.
- you probably want a blu-ray reader/burner. This will cost more but if you think you can get by with a DVD drive ok....

Another factor is who your intended market for video is and what their equipment is likely to be. Internet video cannot take High Definition at this point, so you don't need HD for internet.
Standard Definition is still broadcast quality for virtually all television, so you may not need HD depending on your market niche here.

Make sure the laptop has all the ports and capacity you need for the camera you have and the software you will be using. For example -- Sony Vegas editing software probably works best in a Sony machine. Some video cameras coming out now (like Canon XA10) may not have a firewire port, so you may not need this port on you computer. This means you can only transfer your raw footage by USB port, unless you record it onto SD card memory card and put the card into the SD port of your computer. Assuming your computer has SD memory card ports.

Some laptops may have an upper limit on memory card capacity they can handle. The Sony may only be able to take a maximum of 64GB SDXC card. But this card may cost 200 USD or more, so it might be cheaper to transfer the raw footage directly by USB cord from the built-in memory of the camera.

Last edited:
I just got the new Macbook Pro 15" with Lion. Great, great computer. I was working on a 2-generations-old Macbook 13", and the increased screen area and the graphics processing speed has made such a difference. Such a beautiful display, too. I can't imagine having a better laptop display for editing video on (although the Apple 27" Cinema display is sooo tempting). I got myself a 1 TB External HD for video projects alone, so my adventure filmmaking studio has just experienced a $2,800 makeover. Expensive but worth it.

I just got the new Macbook Pro 15" with Lion. Great, great computer. I was working on a 2-generations-old Macbook 13", and the increased screen area and the graphics processing speed has made such a difference. Such a beautiful display, too. I can't imagine having a better laptop display for editing video on (although the Apple 27" Cinema display is sooo tempting). I got myself a 1 TB External HD for video projects alone, so my adventure filmmaking studio has just experienced a $2,800 makeover. Expensive but worth it.

How are you finding Lion?

I've already gotten used to using Mission Control and Spaces as part of my every day workflow. The swiping to switch between Spaces is great and I'm already preferring the 'natural' scrolling method all the new additions to Safari. The new Dictionary/Thesaurus/Wiki popup is amazing as well, especially as a writer. Fullscreen Pages as Spaces are very nice. About the only thing I don't like is having Safari fullscreen, since having a browser window 2560 pixels wide on a 27" display is just ridiculous.

Also, people do realise that you can get really good discounts on Apple products by shopping around. It's virtually never a good deal to buy directly from Apple. Even the refurbs and education discounts can't compare to what a reseller will usually offer. Things like extended warranties, price discounts, extra RAM, free printers, etc.

IMPORTANT:
MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP HAS USB3! REPEAT, MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP HAS USB3

Firewire and old USB are sucky for connecting external drives. Mac has a great interface too, I think it's called "Thunderclap" or "Underwear" or I'm not really sure. And forget firewire junk.

Last edited:
Back