Advice For Getting Started

I've recently come to the decision that my passion in life is writing and filmmaking. My mind always wanders back on these things, and I'm finally deciding to do something about it. I'm reading the endless pros and cons between film school and not, it seems to be for a lot of kids coming out of high school trying to figure out what to do next.

Thing is, though, I already have a degree. A Bachelor's in Project Management. I don't think investing even more time and money into another degree for Film itself would be the most advantageous thing for me now, I think throwing myself into Filmmaking headfirst would be the better use of time and money.

So to that effect, I'm getting myself started. I think the first order of business is to start writing. I'm bouncing a few themes around, but I have a general idea of what platform I want to use to get my work out there. Anyone have general writing tips, or general "getting started on your dream" advice they think would fit? Conversely, does anyone think that I'm getting my start a little too late in the game?

And this is why there is an endless debate. Always a
healthy debate and always important to hear the different
perspectives - but always endless.

There are people, like you, who find a class or too important.
There are others who find the entire four years and that
degree important. I became familiar with the terms and
lighting, camera angles, etc. by volunteering on film shoots.
For me, that was a much better way to learn than in a
classroom. I was directing short films long before I knew
many of the terms and lighting, camera angles, etc. That
was how I learned.

A debate, sure, but one with no "fits all" answer.

Absolutely.

Good thing is; no matter what path you take (School or no school) you can make a career in film and be successful.

Back