advice for beta testing gear/getting gear in trade for services/reviews

have you ever gotten to test out new gear before it was released? have you ever gotten to use/keep gear in exchange for testing/reviewing it/creating content? if so, how did you get this opportunity?

i've heard of people emailing start ups or companies releasing new gear in exchange for a review and sample footage of the product in exchange for testing it out. sometimes, it even goes the other way, for example, i recently watched Lee Morris of fstoppers review a new motion controlled slider based on them emailing him asking for a review.

i want to do this! basically, i'm perpetually too poor to buy some of the gear i want/need to do certain things, and i was wondering if anyone has done this in the past and if you have advice on how to go about it. emailing Canon out of the blue surely wont get me anywhere...are there forums that people use for this sort of thing? do i need to be at the professional level of the Lee Morris' of the world? surely not...i've heard of college kids doing this (occasionally haha)

anywayyyy clearly i'm sort of spitballing here, but if you have a word of advice, let me know

Back