• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adobe Premiere Pro > Exporting Master

Hey everyone

I'm filming on a Sony xdcam ex and need to export a master out of Adobe Premiere, much like Final Cut's export to quicktime movie option, I need a way to export a master of my movie.

I've already tried exporting an h.264 mp4 file, but the export time is extremely long - 10 hours?!

We're editing on a Mac G5, and we need the master as a file to convert to other formats for the web. I'd love to just do all of the converting out of Premiere, but they don't have a WMV export option for macs, so I need a master so I can send it to compressor.

Is there some kind of option like Final Cut's export quicktime movie that I can use in Premiere CS5 that doesn't take more than 10 hours to export?

H.264 is the worst option... not even because of render time, but just compression.

For a master copy of your film, export to an UNCOMPRESSED QUICKTIME. The file size will be huge, gigs upon gigs, but that would be a lossless master copy of your film that can be used in COMPRESSOR and anything else.

Thing to note, when you render no compression, lossless, high bit rate, high def quicktime movies, chances are it will playback on your computer jerky and you'll think there is something wrong. There is not. Its just that your asking too much from you computer.

I then pass this to handbrake or quicktime pro and render a more playback friendly h264 version.

Normally though, I don't render movies from premiere, I import premiere projects into after effects. I prefer to do titles, color correction\grading etc in after effects.

I have a couple of render templates that make starting a "playback friendly render" and a "master HQ render" a few mouse clicks away.

For what it's worth, any kind of intensive processing on a G5 is going to take a long time - even the first Intel iMacs were almost as fast as the last PowerMacs, and they haven't stopped getting faster since then.

I've also tried doing an uncompressed quicktime, which is what we would do in FCP, but in Premiere the export time is 10-15hrs when in FCP it only takes about 1 hour...

Am I doing something wrong with exporting? Even if there aren't any effects on the timeline, Premiere still says 10-15hrs to export a 40-50minute video

Back