Adobe or Final Cut? Please help!

Late this year I am planning on buying either Adobe Premier CS5 (maybe the production suite) or Final Cut Studio 7. I don't know which one to buy. If I were to buy the suite, I think (I may be wrong) I would be getting more software with the money but I hear Final Cut is better. I don't know which to go with or even which is better. Could someone help be decide? Adobe or Final cut?

The big thing with CS5 is you realistically need a monster pc to run it and that means money. A production rig would typically have an i7 processor, 24GB of RAM, a carefully selected $$ motherboard and a graphics card that will be around $800.00+ all by itself.

I'm running Adobe CS5 on 4 Gig of RAM and a Dual Core processor without any problems.... and I don't have the Mercury Engine graphics card....

I know it is probably below most people but there is nothing wrong with spending $119 for these two (ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 9 / PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9) products if you are just starting out. By the time you master them and are ready to go pro there will be a new FCPS4 or CS6 out and then you can make your decision after learning video editing. Photoshop and premier elements 9 both for the first time are windows / apple friendly. I suggest buying them and a ok computer until you get all the skill sets then upgrade to the latest and greatest. Wonderful photos/videos can be produced with elements 9. Much better deal than FCE or Vegas, seeing as you get a pretty good photo editing program as well as a pretty good video editing program cheap.

Working for the US Government and NATO countries I have the pleasure of using FCPS3/FCE4 /CS5/Elements 9/Avid MC5 and somewhat Vegas 8. Until recent I was sold on FCPS3 but now I lean toward CS5. Avid is good for film but defiantly a harder learning curve and not very friendly. But that is just me.

I haven't upgraded to 9 yet (SHAME!) but I found, for what I do, Premiere Elements (I'm on 7) is a great editor for an affordrable price, and very user friendly (I'm STILL finding out things I can do with it). Now I don't work in the industry, and I probably won't that I can see-but it does the job and then some.

Nice to see another Elements User ;)

The big thing with CS5 is you realistically need a monster pc to run it and that means money. A production rig would typically have an i7 processor, 24GB of RAM, a carefully selected $$ motherboard and a graphics card that will be around $800.00+ all by itself.

You are wrong about this, I have a Dual Core processor and 2GB of RAM on my computer and it can run all of the CS5 programs fine.

Last edited:
You are wrong about this, I have a i2 processor and 2GB of RAM on my computer and it can run all of the CS5 programs fine.

You have a production rig with 2 GB of RAM running After Effects and Premeire Pro at the same time with stacked H.264 video? I'm sorry, but I don't think so. ;)

I'm sure it runs just fine, but it was designed to do a lot more. Honestly, check out the link in my reply to Sonnyboo.

Jkortje: Are you on a mac or a PC? Vegas won't run on the Mac, and Final Cut won't run on the PC. I started with Diva Videoshop (actually video tape and VCRs, but that's another conversation) - eventually this became Avid Digital... then onto Premiere, then onto Final Cut (I've dabbled with Avid as well). I prefer final cut's workflow and power over the others.

If you're so inclined and Macinated, Final Cut Express IS Final Cut Pro but without some of the higher end features and format support (geared toward consumer/prosumer cameras rather than professional formats or actual digitized film work)... it also comes with Soundtrack (not STPro) for doing higher end sound.

I own both, and moved from iMovie to FCE to FCS1 (which I'm still using). To get the more modern versions, you'll need to get an intel Mac to run... but FCE is a great and REALLY powerful program if you're using consumer level digital video.

Ultimately, it's what works for your particular... .um... modicum?

Back