adding something extra to a feature

Hello,

I have done my first feature and that movie had something extra because it was a modern silent feature.

Now I did write a second script, this time it is a "talkie" but the problem is that it does not have any production values at all, it is basically a good script, but the whole movie feels like a tv-movie, not good.

I personally think that if you want to gain somekind of popularity or at least do something different than rest of the group, then the movie should have something extra.

But what, that is the question.

I could update the script to film-noir, but usually film-noir are b&w and I do not feel like doing b&w movie. Neo-noir of course would be another choice, but dunno if that would work any better. Horror is too far away from the script, action could maybe work with a little bit of re-write of the script.

Of course with different genres there is a need for a little bit of rewrite anyway with the scirpt, but I think it could be worth it.

I did already had a crew for the film and a budget, but I cancelled the project, because I just had a feeling I am going to waste my time and money because lack of production value.

So, what is the script about, do you mind showing/telling?
If horror is to far away, I would try thriller, psychological, maybe some surreal elements moving the story on a second level.

SYNOPSIS

JERE is athletic, about 30 years old man. He has a girlfriend called EMMI. Jere applies a job in IT firm and gets the job. He goes to start his first day in the new job and meets a man called ONNI. They soon became friends. Meanwhile Jere´s girlfriend Emmi has a money problem. She is an artist with her own art studio. To get more money she decides to create an art sale and one of the visitors in the sale is a man called NIKLAS, who is the boss of Jere.

Niklas does not buy the paintings tough; instead he hires Emmi to be his poker dealer for the Texas Hold ´Em game where his friends are playing. IN the same time Jere is interested to return to his hobbies and he goes and buys a model car.

Onni wins a gold bar from the car test drive he did earlier and he asks Jere to join with him to collect the gold bar. Jere agrees, because the test drive car is the similar car Jere has as a model, so Jere can take pictures of the car for later use when building the model and Onni can claim his price.

So they go to the car dealer and claim the price. But when Onni walks away with the gold bar he gets attacked and loses it. Jere witnesses this and instead helping Onni he steals the gold bar.

Synopsis might not be the best, but I think it could give a idea of the movie. The language for the movie is going to be finnish, so of course that is something extra, but not enough. I could shoot this in winter time, it could give a nice extra for the movie, but now I am going trough with the options to give something extra for the project. Currently script is fine, but it does need something that will be usefull when marketing the movie.

Onni then decides to use the gold bar to pay away Emmi´s debts, but it does not go as planned.

This would be my second feature. First one I have already done and it will be ready in one-two months time. The first feature is a silent one, second one (synopsis above) is not.

Last edited:
I think this film needs not additional production value but great characters.
Make the characters epic and make it a stylish finish roadmovie,playing with the big wide void.

What you've provided sounds like a first act.
Rip off someone else's "plan gone awry" story to finish it.

Watch:
  • A Simple Plan
  • Fargo
  • Armored
  • The Ice Harvest
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Blood Simple

Back