Adding music to shorts...

I've been watching some short films recently and most of the films I've watched had music in it that I've never heard before...

1. This could be because my knowledge of music is insuficient

...or...

2. You cant just play any old song from top of pops in a short movie without asking for permision...

Which is it and what are my options if its the second.

Cheers!

Jack.

Definitely the second, but it could be number one as well! You can find people to write and record music for you, speak to smaller bands who might let you use their music for free, try to get permission from a record label, buy music from a stock library… lots of options depending on your budget and requirements.

Definitely the second, but it could be number one as well! You can find people to write and record music for you, speak to smaller bands who might let you use their music for free, try to get permission from a record label, buy music from a stock library… lots of options depending on your budget and requirements.

Didn't know there were stock librarys for music... COOL! Recomend any cheap and easy to use?

My short has 6 songs in it, five original, one Public Domain (classical) all recorded by me specifically for the film. If you have access to recording facilities (my sound guy has a pretty decent home studio), then the offer of "Hey, we'll give you a professional level recording of your song in exchange for letting us use it in the movie" is pretty enticing. The one guy I paid was the pianist I paid $100 to play the classical piece.

Now of course I live 30 miles from Nashville, in a town with one of the biggest recording industry management programs in the world, so there are bands EVERYWHERE. I know not everybody is in that position.

My short has 6 songs in it, five original, one Public Domain (classical) all recorded by me specifically for the film. If you have access to recording facilities (my sound guy has a pretty decent home studio), then the offer of "Hey, we'll give you a professional level recording of your song in exchange for letting us use it in the movie" is pretty enticing. The one guy I paid was the pianist I paid $100 to play the classical piece.

Now of course I live 30 miles from Nashville, in a town with one of the biggest recording industry management programs in the world, so there are bands EVERYWHERE. I know not everybody is in that position.

Hmm,is your short on Youtube or else where?Just curious to watch it. :)

My latest work includes a song that I had to buy the license to. In all, for one song and the license, was around $40 from shockwave-sound.com. They have a lot of really good music for every type of genre or scenario. Royalty Free music is also a good choice. Search around, you will find something.

1. This could be because my knowledge of music is insuficient

Unless your whole life is dedicated to music your musical knowledge will be insufficient; there's 600 years of "Western" music and centuries more of Asian and African music to catch up on - not to mention hundreds of thousands of new songs and compositions in a myriad of styles being added every year. Don't worry about it, many who do dedicate their lives to music have insufficient knowledge.

2. You cant just play any old song from top of pops in a short movie without asking for permision...

The more popular the song the more expensive securing synchronization rights is likely to be.

There are thousands of very talented bands and artists out there (out of the couple of million who think they're talented) who would be more than happy to let you use their music in your film for the exposure. If you hook up with the right one(s) they may even write specifically for your project. That doesn't include the numerous up-and-coming composers who would jump at the chance to score a film for the experience. Who knows, maybe because of you others will come to know these unknown composers, artists and bands through your films.

Back