• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

vfx Add camera movement to a photo

I want to add a PUSH IN to a photograph. The homemade dolly didn't work out the way I expected in that particular scene. I found somethings about camera mapping in Blender, but I don't think it quite fits fot that particular situation. Do you guys have any tips on what I suppose to do?

I want to add a PUSH IN to a photograph. The homemade dolly didn't work out the way I expected in that particular scene. I found somethings about camera mapping in Blender, but I don't think it quite fits fot that particular situation. Do you guys have any tips on what I suppose to do?
Super easy to do!

Just use an editing software, like Davinci Resolve (free), and use the TRANSFORM features. You can learn about it here:

You can't add camera movement to a photo. Alcove is correct to point out the Ken Burns Effect, but it's important to note that a pan in post is not even slightly the same as a real-life pan. That's not actual camera movement. That being said, any time I use a still photo in a documentary, I'm make habit of doing a VERY SLOW zoom/pan, slow enough that most people in the audience won't actively notice any movement but it is in fact moving. That's just me. Ken Burns certainly has a whole lot more success at this than I do. :)

You can't add camera movement to a photo. Alcove is correct to point out the Ken Burns Effect, but it's important to note that a pan in post is not even slightly the same as a real-life pan. That's not actual camera movement. That being said, any time I use a still photo in a documentary, I'm make habit of doing a VERY SLOW zoom/pan, slow enough that most people in the audience won't actively notice any movement but it is in fact moving. That's just me. Ken Burns certainly has a whole lot more success at this than I do. :)
Depends on the resolution of the photo. If it is very high, using software to simulate will do just fine.

*Also note: A pan is different than a PUSH IN. Pan goes sideways, push in goes forward. Could also be called Dolly In.

Depends on the resolution of the photo. If it is very high, using software to simulate will do just fine.

*Also note: A pan is different than a PUSH IN. Pan goes sideways, push in goes forward. Could also be called Dolly In.

You also can't do a push in post.

I never said that what the OP wants to do won't be fine. But it will definitely be an entirely different thing from camera movement.

You also can't do a push in post.

I never said that what the OP wants to do won't be fine. But it will definitely be an entirely different thing from camera movement.

I get what you mean, but yes, a ZOOM will suffice to do what OP wants as long as he does it very slowly.

I have crop zoomed 4k footage on a 1080p output, and it simulates subtle forward motion absolutely fine.

Yeah, I think a zoom would be enought, but, I'm not quite sure. I'll look into the Ken Burns effect. Hope it works!

Back