Actors 3 - Line ups and problem solving

Hi Guys - this is the last of the acting hints. It covers working on set, line-ups, camera rehearsals and finally a section on fixing performance problems.

On Set – Line ups and solving performance problems

If you’ve done the work during the read-through and rehearsal your actors should arrive with a good knowledge of their character, a high degree of confidence in their abilities and a belief in you as their director. This is a great way to start a movie, because on set you’re going to have to deal with a myriad of practical issues and your primary concerns are going to transfer from the cast to the crew, for much of the time.

However, the trick with this is to remember that the film happens in front of the camera and at the end of the day the actors are the most important piece of kit on the lot. If the camera breaks down half way through a shoot you can replace it. If your lead actor breaks down, the whole film is knackered.

So, on set regardless of how busy you are make time to greet the cast when they arrive in the morning, talk over with them what scenes you’re doing and deal with any questions they have. The first day on set they’ll be lots of questions, many of which are really about pre-performance nerves; so the key is to reassure them, but not get tied down into detailed conversations. The other practical thing to deal with on the first day is to introduce the actors to the 1st AD. Up to now the actors have had complete access to you when ever they wanted, now this has to change and the communications protocol becomes that if they’re not on set and have any questions, they go to the 1st AD and not directly to you. This doesn’t mean that you can’t go and chat to them, but you make the choice of when and where that happens. Most actors respond well to this because they’ve already established a relationship with you, you’re obviously very busy and important during the shoot and it feels more professional for them and strangely enough the more professionally the shoot is run, the more the actors enjoy the process. The other thing that gets covered in the morning briefing is what the set protocols are. By this I mean where the actors will wait when not working, why they have to have their mobile phones switched off, what it means when someone hollers “quiet on set”; this is particularly valuable if you’ve got cast who’ve never been on a film set before. It’s also a good idea to point out any health and safety issues, like watching underfoot for cables and not getting too close to lights. Personally, I don’t like to have performers cluttering up the set when other people are working, but you have to decide for yourself whether you want them to be able to see the film getting made or whether you want to keep people on set to a minimum. Once you’ve finished the briefing get the actors through make-up and wardrobe. You’ll probably want to step in and check people as they go through this process, wardrobe sometimes gives people clothing that is going to get in the way of a particular piece of action and as your actors now have a feel for their character, you may have to work with them to get this part right.

When the set and crew are ready it’s time to do your first line up. This should be a simple process where the actors come in, see the minor differences between the rehearsal space and actual set and make minor adjustments to how the action works. This means that you can concentrate on talking to the DOP, lighting team and sound recordist about how the scene is going to be shot.

In the line up I start by reminding the actors of how we approached the scene in rehearsal and then asking them just to walk through the action. If there are any obvious alterations to the blocking this is when they will show up, but nine times out of ten the actors will adjust it themselves. What you are looking to do is establish the timing of the scene and to establish precise marks for the actors to hit when the action takes place. The marks are important because the DOP will set their camera positions to hit those marks. Once this is established the line up is done and the camera and lighting team can rig for the first set-up. The crew may well need the cast around to make sure that the light is hitting the right points, that the camera is at the right height (this is the primary work of stand-ins for stars on big budget movies). Personally, I like to give a little space to the cast at this point and concentrate on getting the set-up right. Some actors need to go into themselves to prepare at this point, some like to chatter nervously and personally I don’t like to be around either process.

When it’s rigged, bring the cast back in and run your first camera rehearsal. The purpose of the camera rehearsal is primarily to make sure that the camera movements/set up are right. It’s the first time that you get to see the scene as it actually going to exist on tape/film.
With that sorted it’s worth running a few additional runs of the piece where you’re fixing minor performance issues.

To do this some directors like to call their direction in from their chair, which is the fastest way of doing it and the only way if it relates to position (you want to judge the changes in the monitor). However, in my opinion, the only way to give notes is to go over to the actor and talk to them quietly one-to-one. It’s works out faster in the long run than calling instructions in because you get more effective results, which means less takes to get the job done.

When everything is looking the way you want it, it’s time for the first take. By now it should just be a case of rolling the camera and letting it happen, as far as the performances are concerned, but usually there will still be minor alterations during the master take. However, once a good master take is down, the rest of the process is really about quality control. One thing that I always do is if I think a cast member is 90% there, but aren’t quite hitting it I’ll say “That take was perfect, excellent. Look we’ll just take another couple of takes for safety, but from a performance point of view we’ve got it.” What tends to happen then, is that the pressure comes off the cast and slightly more relaxed they give even better performances on the safety takes. (Of course if they don’t you just keep working them and remind them that you need about three good takes to be safe).

At the end of each scene, when it’s in the can make sure that you go up to each actor in the scene and give them some positive praise, and make it about something in particular. “I really liked the relationship between you and Trish in that scene” or “I really liked how you brought out the sulkiness of your character in that scene.” Actors need post performance reassurance and it’s an investment on what they do next.

As you can see, by running proper read throughs and rehearsals the time on set is used more efficiently (all in all this approach can make huge saving on your production, providing you aren’t paying some megastar a fortune for rehearsal time.

Last edited:
Hey Clive,

I too come from the theater world. 30+ year vet and still hanging on. I created the Lakespeare Theatre Festival so that I could direct Shakespeare in the park because no one within two hours of me was doing it. This will be our third season, if I can continue with it. My film work is kind of overwhelming me at the moment.

I am known as an "Actors' Director", and it is a truly rare thing among indie (or any) filmmakers. Many indies can quote you chapter and verse on interlacing frames, 3 chip v. 1 chip cameras, sound mixers or the vagaries of Premiere Pro... But they couldn't get a real performance from an actor if their life depended on it. (No one here of course!) ;)

I want the actors to 1) look fabulous- because I believe movies should be more than real life; 2) fit with each other; 3) take the story to places I hadn't thought of. In my experience, the best actors make choices that directors simply can't see when reading the screenplay. I like to let the actors flesh out the character without my input. If what they've created doesn't work, we tinker with it till it does.

The best camera in the world can shoot the worst film if the acting isn't there.

I know I might have said this better, but I am not, sadly, in the 'groove'. I am doing the costume plot for a feature that I have a prodcution meeting on tomorrow and just needed a break.

Just my two cents. :)

I created the Lakespeare Theatre Festival so that I could direct Shakespeare in the park because no one within two hours of me was doing it. This will be our third season, if I can continue with it. My film work is kind of overwhelming me at the moment.

I've never directed Shakespeare; I've always been offered more contemporary drama. I've directed a lot of Brecht though and I've also directed a version of Steven Berkoff's East, which is written in modern iambic pentameter. When I was teaching acting I'd often use it as way of introducing actors to Shakespere.

Good to hear that your film work is so active though.

I want the actors to 1) look fabulous- because I believe movies should be more than real life; 2) fit with each other; 3) take the story to places I hadn't thought of. In my experience, the best actors make choices that directors simply can't see when reading the screenplay. I like to let the actors flesh out the character without my input. If what they've created doesn't work, we tinker with it till it does.

I couldn't agree more. I think that's the advantage of working with "real" actors. The whole process I described completely changes if you're working with people who know how to approach and interpret text, who have technique and are able to take risks with their performances.

I like to let the actors flesh out the character without my input. If what they've created doesn't work, we tinker with it till it does

One of the things I intecd to do at some point is to do a feature using Mike Leigh's techniques. He only creates a story outline, which he then workshops with his cast only revealing the next part of the story when that part is right. He then shoot the film in sequence. For me, his dedication of being an actor's director is consumate. It's a way of working that I greatly admire. Of course there are risks, because it means that your finished piece is only as good as the improv ability of your actor and Mike's end products have ranged from genuis to pretty lame.

clive said:
I think it's more likely that Sir Ian listened to what he had to say, nodded politely and then worked it out for himself. In her book acting for Film, Mel Churcher says that because of the poor directorial skills inthe industry as they relate to actors, an actor needs to learn to translate what they are told and work it out for themselves.

Cheers mate, I've just ordered that book, should be a good read. I've also picked up this book as well which seems to be pretty good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941188248/203-3080835-5349536?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Any advantage in helping you become a better director is always useful.

As a side note, I think the lack of consideration given by directors to actors is quite interesting.

When you watch a lot of low budget films, one of the most glaring problems is the acting, which tends to be poor, although the fact its usually friends and family doesn't help.

Thats always suprised me actually, especially on Indie films where budgets are low. You will barely be able to pull of amazing camera moves so the film will probably be judged mainly on the performances, yet this is an area where people tend to be the most inept in.

Being good with people is a pretty hard skill to learn though, as it can be difficult, but it is weird that very little techies take the time to actually try

Thats always suprised me actually, especially on Indie films where budgets are low. You will barely be able to pull of amazing camera moves so the film will probably be judged mainly on the performances, yet this is an area where people tend to be the most inept in.
Being good with people is a pretty hard skill to learn though, as it can be difficult, but it is weird that very little techies take the time to actually try

It's hard to do and yet it's the heart of film-making.

The thing that is interesting is that the very skills that make for good direction of actors (understanding people, understanding what motivates people to act the way they do) is exactly the same skills you need to be a good screen writer.

Despite the idea that all you need to make a film work is a good plot, people tend to forget that plots are just a string of events that happen to people. It's the people that create the plot, not the other way round.

If you don't understand why people do things you can't write well rounded characters, their dialogue will sound unconvincing and the you won't be able to give the actors any help to fix the situation. Basically the whole house of cards collapses.

The flip side of this is to understand that the audience will project emotions onto a character whether they portray them or not. The proof of this is theatrical mask work, where the face of the actor is completely covered, the expression of the mask is neutral, but the audience still sees sadness in one mask and anger in another (depending on the context). By the time you've used music in your to tell the audience the emotional context of the scene (scary, tender, angry, scared) then sometimes all you need from the actor is a degree of neutrality of expression. It's not always about the actor emoting, sometimes it's just about the actor not looking uncomfortable.

So how would you suggest gaining a deeper understanding of characters, is there any good methods, or is it mainly learned through experience and observation?

You're a well of information by the way :D

Ah well, I'll have to step up the old stalking again ;D

I've studied a lot about pyschology which helps a lot, especially either the inner thought process, which reminds me, and I do intend on learning hypnotism in the future, both of which would add an interesting dimension to my repetoire.

The best case scenario would be casting older actors and letting them bring their experience to the film especially with the screenplay. Thats my intention for my next short film

Keep in mind that directing is as much a skill to develop as shot composition or lighting or sound gathering. Since lots of us are just learning, this is another thing to say..."For this film I concentrated on learning foley, using natural light and getting my actors to (act less/use more body language/whatever esoteric thing we can add to our toolbox of skills)". As a director, I've grown on the movie I'm doing now, I plan on growing more as I make more films, specifically getting non-actors to slow down their lines, stage actors to emote in a smaller way, finding how to vary the amount of emotion based on whether the shot is wide or closeup, etc.

A good tip for non-actors is to get them to concentrate on listening to the other actors, actually hearing what the other actor is saying and then delivering their line based on how the previous line is said to them. Another thing that can be quite useful in rehearsal with both actors and non-actors is to get them to do the scene, but to put it in their own words. This is a way of getting them to actually understadn what they are saying instead of worrying about the lines. Then you can go back and run the lines and it's often magically tranformed.

I used the subtext thing with my mates short film that he directed for his college course(He didn't have a clue how to direct actors, only work with the camera) and it helped a lot especially as they were all amatuer actors. We are reversing roles in a few months with me directing and him doing the crappy jobs ;D

The film in itself was pretty crap but it was a good learning curve, especially for me as I get to learn without having to direct something I didn't really enjoy. It puts me in much better stead for my upcoming short film.

Back