actor :(

Okay. It's one of the last days of shooting, and my actor tells me my script is "too hollywood". He wants to change the ending because he doesn't think it makes sense. He comes up with his own idea. I tell him I want to keep the original ending, and we will shoot his way if we have enough time. He storms off. What should I do? I don't want to fire him, because I've shot the WHOLE film, except for one scene.

Many actors are very professional. Some unfortunately are the opposite.

Good luck with the new talent ChimpPhobiaFilms. Sorry this one messed you around so much - terrible situation.

Given your experience, I'm sure you have your talent sign a contract. Sometimes that can help when some leverage is needed.

First off, as an actor, this is an offensive generalization... But, more to the point of the post, (again, as an actor) you should let your actor know that his job is to facilitate your vision and bring it to life.

If he is serious about a career as an actor, he needs to get used to that.

Shouldn't an actor already know his job? He was hired to fulfull the director's vision, not to satisfy his own hyper-inflated ego... which is exactly what he's doing with his demand and his hissyfit. He made a commitment, he gave you his word, and he wussed out. Chimp, you have the right idea, dump the puke and move on. Good luck.

Actors are pains in the asses all around.

I don't know. I understand that lots of people have problems with actors, but I really think that it boils down to the responsibility of the producer/director to weed out problem-people. It's worth noting that the issues and complaints I see on here about unreliable or unreasonable actors show up in regards to crew members, too.

Personally, I've had nothing but great experiences with every actor I've worked with. And I've deliberately not cast good actors or not hired crew with great resumes because I could tell they had attitude problems. I can't help but feel anyone with these on-set problems is at least partly, if not wholly, responsible for them themselves.

I don't know if you're reshooting the whole movie or just the particular scene, but you NEED to make YOUR actors aware that YOU'RE the director. What you want is always priority. You suggested the best way by opting to shoot yours first and then the actors way if time allowed for it.

Now, if you're unable to find a suitable replacement, changes in the script have to be made in order to accommodate for the loss. An offscreen incident, or an added scene utilizing another important character.

An another thing to remember is that the movie can't be made without actors. Leeway is always acceptable and communication is key. Be sure to come to an agreement that satisfies both your needs.

Last edited:
You were reasonable. He needs to get over himself and learn that the final say is not his say. Not his job. If he quits, so what, consider yourself lucky you only have one scene left. You can make it work.

Back