• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Action packed Short Film (not for the faint of heart)

okay so its not as drastic a short film as I posted in the title but its just a little something we filmed last summer coming out of our Freshmen year of college. We've improved in a lot of ways including picking shots that flow better, natural dialogue, lighting, and sound to name a few off the top of my head.. So I'm basically looking for any constructive criticism available and will not take anything the wrong way...

oh and yeah the idea was basically to create a spoof off of action films so laughing is encouraged because we had many during the shooting of this and enjoyed every moment making it. Thanks in advance for any feedback given!

p.s. watch it in 1080p & you'll truly appreciate what we accomplished with a non dslr, which is something we wont have to worry about with our future projects-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhKx1xOc4U

would love some comments if anyone is willing to help us out... and I know 23 minutes is a long time but we put a lot into this and we'd really like to know what could be improved upon for our next project. Thanks!

I have to admit, I thought it was a little racist at first. But then I picked up the sarcasm and giggled the whole way through. My favorite line is, "I got a pic on my camera phone".

You guys must watch a lot of South Park. :P

Last edited:
I laughed, I cried (mostly cried). I thought it was a well done amateur production. I loved that the mix of German and Japanese with the Chinese. It was meant as an amateur spoof and so it can't be critiqued as something intended to be serious.

My only comment is there are long periods of 'dead time' when nothing is happening. So I would edit those more tightly. The other comment is that all of the shots are mostly straight on. Greater variety in the camera angles will enhance the viewing. It may also help to have cue cards off camera to assist some of the actors. The interview scene would have worked better with her closer to him so both could be in the shot. (Ok, five comments!)

Someone had too much fun with After Effects. :)

I laughed, I cried (mostly cried). I thought it was a well done amateur production. I loved that the mix of German and Japanese with the Chinese. It was meant as an amateur spoof and so it can't be critiqued as something intended to be serious.

My only comment is there are long periods of 'dead time' when nothing is happening. So I would edit those more tightly. The other comment is that all of the shots are mostly straight on. Greater variety in the camera angles will enhance the viewing. It may also help to have cue cards off camera to assist some of the actors. The interview scene would have worked better with her closer to him so both could be in the shot. (Ok, five comments!)

Someone had too much fun with After Effects. :)

Yeah this was shot the summer before we took our first film classes and it kinda sucked editing cause we were hitting ourselves over the head with what we could have improved upon.. especially with shot variety. The one thing I can say is that we were heavily limited with only having one lens throughout the whole shoot which is something we wont have to deal with now that were getting a t3i.... and yes one of us is an after affects addict haha, he had a lot of fun with this and Im glad people are at least getting something out of this. Thanks for the comments!

-Tom

p.s. oh and do you mind if I copy and paste your comments onto youtube? we'd like to encourage people to give good feedback under the video and seeing other feedback makes that easier and what not

Last edited:
Well

Kind of dragged throughout the middle, being an action comedy I would've liked to see a faster pace, but I watched the whole thing, and thoroughly enjoyed the ending.

Good job.

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I liked what I saw.

My only thing would be the wardrobe. If you could have wore actual uniforms then it would have definitely added to your short film.

Back