Acquiring rights or not?!

Hi

I recently finished directing a 44 min short film and im currently working on post production. In my film i include about 1 min and 15 seconds of "Le Samourai" from 1967.

I contacted the right holders and they're asking me for 15 thousand euros for just ONE COUNTRY! This is obviously not an option since i'm working with no budget and i plan on making zero money with all my short films.

My question is, if i keep the footage without acquiring the rights, will i be able to participate in film festivals ? Will i face legal action ?

Anyone knows of a public domain film that can be used in my short film in order to achieve the same effect as this one ?

Here is the rough cut of my short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BTe6zQTrdI

I contacted the right holders and they're asking me for 15 thousand euros for just ONE COUNTRY! This is obviously not an option since i'm working with no budget and i plan on making zero money with all my short films.

Copyright licensing can get expensive. Lawsuits can be even more expensive.

A copyright infringement suit is also a massive black mark on your reputation. It can turn off future investors, collaborators, and employers.

My question is, if i keep the footage without acquiring the rights, will i be able to participate in film festivals ?

No. And why would you? If you're asking someone here to advise you to go ahead and commit theft of intellectual property, you're barking up the wrong tree.

It ain't your film, you don't have permission, so don't use it.

Will i face legal action ?

Yes.

At least, you run a high risk of it. But that's not really the point. Risk of getting sued is no valid reason to steal copyrighted works.

Anyone knows of a public domain film that can be used in my short film in order to achieve the same effect as this one ?

Google "public domain films" and see what pops up.

Back