Accessories for Final Cut Pro X?

Hello guys,

For those of you who are Final Cut Pro users, what accessory programs do you recommend to go with it? I know I want the graphic titles and transitions pack. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advanced.

Another accessory program I would add is called, "Airstream" from the Apps Store. Anyone who has been editing for years will remember the old days of watching films both on a computer screen and a TV screen. Aircast casts files on your hard drive to your TV. Aircast does require a Chromcast device on your TV in your network.

Are you talking about Airstreamer for Chrome? There's one for Apple TV as well. "Airstream" comes up with no results in the App Store. Same with "Aircast".

However... the whole purpose to watching "both on a computer screen and a TV screen" was about having a calibrated, broadcast-quality monitor to watch for accurate color correction and to check for titlesafe, actionsafe, and overscan. That's not "the old days". Professional editors still do this. The app you're looking at is not listed on the FCPX web page for recommended 3rd-party apps, and it's not going to serve that function.

You'd be much better off getting a true production monitor, or at least using something like a Spyder calibration tool to get your external LCD/OLED monitor into the general neighborhood.

The purpose of streaming to a HDTV is to watch the film on a bigger screen to see how some Vfx look on a larger screen. That way I know if the Vfx needs some touching up.

The streaming app you’re looking at appears to play from files, not within FCPX. That’ll make for an inefficient workflow (export, exit, stream and view, relaunch, tweak, rinse, repeat). Why not just connect HDMI or Thunderbolt from your Mac straight to the monitor and set your extended FCP desktop to be the video preview? Then you can work in realtime.

True, the app is easy to access when a file is completely rendered and the dialogue box pops up asking to show the the file as QuickTime launches to play the file. Showing the file switches to Finder where the file can stream to Chromcast onto an HDTV.

I noticed that there are two products available for Final Cut Pro X: Motion 5 and 3D Motion. Can Motion do everything 3D Motion can, or should I look into getting both?

Can you post a link to “3D Motion”? I’ve never heard of it. Looked all over the FCP page for recommended apps, and searched the app store. Nothing.

Motion 5 can work in 3D space, so I have no idea what that other app is for.

Back