• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A white scene

Hi.

I am preparing to start my first project, and I realized that I haven't thought about the lighting at all. The setup will be a all white room with a white couch. I do not own a lighting kit, but I am looking to purchase something like starter's kit. What kind of lighting kit would offer me the best value, and how would I design the lights so that there is almost no shadow (not even from the character in the scene)? Please share your experience and wisdom. Thank you:lol:

Having larger spaces is what it takes to get rid of shadows. Using white as a color with video is a bit dangerous, especially with less experience. You'll need to light the room, then set the exposure for the environment, then light your subject to match that space:

Zebras to 100%, adjust exposure either through lighting or iris control til one notch down from all/mostly zebras. Then set the zebras to 85 (light skin) or 65 (dark skin) and light your subjects separate from the room. Don't change the exposure of the camera or the room while you're doing this. I'd recommend rechecking the 100% to see if you've increased the light in the room at large when you're finished.

The vast amounts of white will be unforgiving. You don't want no shadows as shadows are what define space. To give a sense of environment, you should be using shadow strategically to suggest space. Look at the end scenes of 2001 and the earlier luxury space cruiser interiors and inspect the lack of true white that suggests white rather than actually being white. Negative film is actually very forgiving on the highlights whereas the blacks wash away rather than gradating nicely.

Video works more like reversal film with softer black gradation, but white that simply disappears after a fashion. So expose carefully for the whites, then light the darker bits to fit that lightspace.

Don't forget to get stuff to control the light (often more important than the types of light you get). Flags, bounce, reflectors, stands or bodies to hold those things.

Yea white rooms are tough to light. If you want shadowless light use diffused hot lights light. I use Photoflex Starlite Silverdomes for even and minimal shadow lighting. They work excellent but aren't cheap. Instead buy some 500 watt halogen shop lights at the hardware stores and use white umbrellas to diffuse them. Open the umbrellas and put the lights behind them. Just attach the umbrella rods to the light stand or buy inexpensive stands for the umbrellas. This should work out well for you. This is what I did when I started out many years ago and didn't have much money.

I know I saw something not too long ago about a DIY endless white backdrop. I want to say it was on Digital Juice TV, but I couldn't find the link doing a quick search of their site...

Back