A Waste Of The Budget

I can't see spending a good amount of $$ on video game chairs that are only going to be seen very briefly. I found some on AMAZON for very good prices. The KEY word is SHOP AROUND. Also office chairs work just as well the black leather ones. Just add some odds and ends. The only thing I can see spending some extra on is for the Captain's chair or so should be the most effective .But all the others budget wise. My star ship interior scenes are only a few moments so I am not going to dwell on making the cockpit the executive suite at the Hilton.

Buying a $150 for photography because it looked nice, when I had a $30 one that was just as good. Also I still have the $30 one while the $150 is in the trash. Poor photo tripod... But surprisingly, I don't feel bad about buying my smith and wesson baton considering I've had to use it. Once when shooting at midnight in downtown Reno, and once when a bipolar drunk dude came at me. The best $40 I've ever spent.

OMG, don't get me started. I could write a book...

Fully 1/4 of my budget went to a person who promised the world and delivered very little. And I'd been warned but had already paid them a large advance so decided to chance it. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Many thousands later we parted company, with me having done most of the work myself. And, as an added bonus, this person managed to piss off EVERYONE in the cast and crew to the point where some threatened to quit the show. I can be a real rube sometimes. :bang:

One waste of money Hollywood often does is that they will hire film graduate students, to do the simplest tasks that aren't even film related, like getting coffee and food for everyone. Maybe not a waist of money, if they would pay an errand boy the same. But a waist of hiring someone with a degree for sure.

One waste of money Hollywood often does is that they will hire film graduate students, to do the simplest tasks that aren't even film related, like getting coffee and food for everyone. Maybe not a waist of money, if they would pay an errand boy the same. But a waist of hiring someone with a degree for sure.

How is it a waste (not waist) of money to hire someone more qualified for the same pay?

How is it a waste (not waist) of money to hire someone more qualified for the same pay?

I agree. Many (many) years ago I worked on a shoot in which the PM had hired an up-and-coming director named Gus Van Sant as 2nd AC (you know, the dude that slates each take). Gus had just gotten his DGA card from Mala Noche and had not yet done Drugstore Cowboy. The show's director was pissed at the PM for hiring what was obviously an enormously overqualified talent for such a menial job and made him fire Gus after the first day. I remember thinking, geez, maybe the guy just needed the work.

"But, on topic, the director of this music video (against his better judgement; the singer of the band somehow convinced him) spent, nay, pissed away tens of thousands of dollars on a scene that didn't even get used."

wow, just wow.You can take tens of thousands and make a movie.

"picky about food"

I hate those types. Be glad you're eating.

"Fully 1/4 of my budget went to a person who promised the world and delivered very little. And I'd been warned but had already paid them a large advance so decided to chance it. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Many thousands later we parted company, with me having done most of the work myself. And, as an added bonus, this person managed to piss off EVERYONE in the cast and crew to the point where some threatened to quit the show."

I REALLY hate those type...which is why I do it all myself...and get results.

Back