A video camera question

Does anyone know of an actual video camera that has the capabilities of the 7D's?

I will be editing a film short in March and I saw some of the footage from the 7D camera they were using. The footage is great. I still prefer to use a video camera if I were the one shooting. Does anyone recommend a camera with similar capabilities? (Do not suggest the RED. It is impractical financially and that is the bottom line.)

I'm just looking around and would like to know where to look. This is just for my own education.

-- spinner :cool:

Looks like the Canon 7D is a APS-C.
0924Canon7D-5.jpg

Closest CMOS chip you're going to get in a "reasonably priced" true video camera/camcorder is a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) chip.
sensor-sizes.png

http://www.consumermate.com/digital...s-and-sensors-making-photography-simpler.html

http://www.dv.com/article/90592

I've only recently begun poking around in this neighborhood and am interested in whatever else you and others can dig up.

I don't have a rational reason why I'm buggy about DSLRs (GH2 seems to be the way to go, which uses a MFT chip, BTW), but I have a definite preference for a "legit" camcorder.
Wish I had a better reason. :hmm:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is..._upl=1361l1361l0l2911l1l1l0l0l0l0l70l70l1l1l0

Last edited:
Sony VG10 (heard bad things)
And Panasonic AF100 (Not very cool) has built in NDs. Probably the best buy for features to price ratio.
Sony FS100 more expensive (nasty highlights)

All of them should do fine if you like Canon 7D footage. Haha

If you want something cheaper than a 7D, not exactly a video camera, but feels like it's more video oriented than 7D try the Panasonic GH2.

No comment on GH2 vs 7D.

At what point will they make a designated video camera with these abilities?

I asked this question in a different form before, not specific to 7D. These cameras look more like film than most without a lot of extras to the video. I know the audio is bad, but then a video camera would fix that.

I know the audio is bad, but then a video camera would fix that.
I don't think the audio recording capabilities between either any of the consumer/prosumer level DSLRs or camcorders is particularly better or worse.
They seem to be all average-ly middlin'.
Even the ones with XLR jacks don't necessarily provide "superior" audio. XLR only reduces line interference. Otherwise, six of one...

Even the entry level external digital audio recorders, typically the Tascam DR100 and Zoom H4N, ain't doing much better than allowing you to get your audio off the camera, DSLR or camcorder.

I think DSLR/camcorder/DR100/H4N are all decent enough for most Mickey Mouse festival entries, but for anything looking for any serious distribution something of a grander (AKA pricier) audio level is in order.

From what I gather.

You know who the audio bosses are around here. :)

At what point will they make a designated video camera with these abilities?

I asked this question in a different form before, not specific to 7D. These cameras look more like film than most without a lot of extras to the video. I know the audio is bad, but then a video camera would fix that.

They have, the FS100 and the AF100. Speaking for the fs100, new picture profiles are coming out all the time negating the highlights issue. Throw a Zeiss zf or a cinelens on there and it is unbelievable. They even have a picture profile to match the 5DMII.

No line skipping, either.

Back