• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A version of my surrealistic short. All critic welcome

Hi.

I made a new surrealistic shortfilm. (told with lateral elements that have a realistic reference).

Can you please criticize my film? I can still change things in editing (not a videolock yet)

Thank you!!

https://vimeo.com/138289010
pasw: echo1

Last edited:
You've got lock. Excellent cinematography, sound was good, story was... erm, ah, eh, what? I could watch that a thousand times and have 1001 different interpretations. I liked the end as well.

Personally, I would have sliced a load of time off that but then again, I am the type of film maker who likes noisy motorbikes, crashes etc... so am maybe not the best person in the world to critique a sensitive, surrealist short.

What was really good was you elicited some 'feeling' in there. That is unusual for a short. Well done, good going. Am in the process of watching your others.

I couldnt watch it all the way through as it didnt interest me, the only thing I can say though is that your cameraman should have moved the camera much more slowly, all those pans made me motion sick!

I have to say, your cinematography is pretty good and I'm a sucker for foreign languages and surrealist stuff, so all in all I did enjoy it, but I can't help but feel it could have been tightened up a bit more. I would have probably also had kind of a deep droning sound throughout for extra surrealism, maybe that's a good idea, maybe not, I don't know, haha. Nonetheless, good job, I was entertained!

I enjoyed it a lot.
I like the mood and the colours of the images.

The best part of the movie was about 9:50. When suddenly the old man sat in the chair. That was awesome!

Thanks for the reactions guys. @Jade R, i will try that, thanks.

I couldnt watch it all the way through as it didnt interest me, the only thing I can say though is that your cameraman should have moved the camera much more slowly, all those pans made me motion sick!

No, the camera is like i wanted it to be. (but that doesn't really matter, you know that i can't change that anymore. I wouldn't because I'm happy with it. But I mean, I look for edit tips from people who are interest in the film. it is indeed not af film for everybody)

Last edited:
This was a solid film. Definitely thought provoking. Shades of Lynch and Nolan. Have a few questions. What camera, lens, lighting, grading did you use. Criticisms: maybe shorten his solitary strolls a bit. Mystery woman could have been a bit more mysterious - i.e. not such a clean image, more vague - i don't know. I would love to ask you a few questions as I have some theories but don't want to spoil it for anyone else. Again, great job - acting/direction was sweet.

This is great! I really liked it! To me, it's the first act of a feature. If you need help with the plot points let me know!

It's a little bit slow paced for a short, but not for a feature!

kinda reminds me of atom egoyan's first film.

Loved it!

Last edited:
This was simply brilliant.
Camera movements were just perfection.
Acting was fantastic.

You did a really god job. What was your budget?

This was a solid film. Definitely thought provoking. Shades of Lynch and Nolan. Have a few questions. What camera, lens, lighting, grading did you use. Criticisms: maybe shorten his solitary strolls a bit. Mystery woman could have been a bit more mysterious - i.e. not such a clean image, more vague - i don't know. I would love to ask you a few questions as I have some theories but don't want to spoil it for anyone else. Again, great job - acting/direction was sweet.

Hi, thank you!
camera: I used a sony fs7.
lenses: Compact prime lensen from zeiss (15,18, 28, 35, 50 and 85mm)
lightning: I had a led panel, a 1.8kw hmi and some dedo's.
Grading: i did the grading with FCPX

"Criticisms: maybe shorten his solitary strolls a bit."
You mean on the street?

And thank you for your criticisms, I will look into that!

This is great! I really liked it! To me, it's the first act of a feature. If you need help with the plot points let me know!

It's a little bit slow paced for a short, but not for a feature!

kinda reminds me of atom egoyan's first film.

Loved it!

Thank you!
Which movie of Atom Egoyan do yo u mean?

This was simply brilliant.
Camera movements were just perfection.
Acting was fantastic.

You did a really god job. What was your budget?

Thank you! :)

My budget: between 3500 and 4000.
(catering for a week was some thing like 1000 dollars. Than I had to pay some actors. Music: composer, liricks and singer, camera,..)
But i had some money from crowdfunding and I had some money from a audio-rightorganisation. The rest I paid myself.

Last edited:
This was fantastic. The Lighting and camera work in particular I really liked. And your main actor was really great!
Just wondering was there a lot of colour correction done or was this mostly in camera?

Also the trailer is good... Personally I would have the song come on a black screen or another shot vs. showing the girl singing it. I think it adds to the mystery but thats just me.

Last edited:
This was fantastic. The Lighting and camera work in particular I really liked. And your main actor was really great!
Just wondering was there a lot of colour correction done or was this mostly in camera?

Also the trailer is good... Personally I would have the song come on a black screen or another shot vs. showing the girl singing it. I think it adds to the mystery but thats just me.

Hi NickDragas, thank you so much! Yes there was colorcorrection, I filmed in a log setting: slog3. But it wasn't really a lot.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that! Mysterie is indeed very importend for the trailer!

Back