• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A/V Script Formatting Opinions

So, in school I was only taught Spec Script formatting and had to learn others on my own (something that kind of upset me).

I'm sitting at my computer almost 5am and I can't sleep because I have an idea in my mind that I think after years of letting it sit on the shelf, that I can finally do it. All the parts I want for it, I can now do.

Except one thing... I need to write it in A/V Script format. I was never taught A/V Script format, but I assumed it was two columns one side being Audio and the other being... Video/Visual....

I booted up Celtx and got something COMPLETELY different than I imagined an A/V Script to look like. So I went to Google... it seems many different formats are taken... So I thought why not ask the good people of IT?

Which of the following do you feel is the best way to represent an A/V Script?

A)

Script-Template-EXAMPLE-791x1024.jpg

or B)

3821OS_08_19.png

Okay, in CeltX
1. Open an existing script
2. Go to the top tab labelled "Script".
3. Click on it and from the dropdown menu select the "Adapt to ..." option.
4. From there, select "Convert it to A/V". This will get the image shown above.
5. You have a new tab labelled "A/V" next to "Screenplay". Under it, you see "Format Options".
6. Click on that to make sure Format is set to "Two Columns".
7. On the bottom, click "TypeSet/PDF". This will process for a minute, but will render with your visuals on the left and dialog/Audio on the right in boxes as in your first example.
8. Just click "Save PDF".

You can edit in either your original screenplay or the A/V. Celtx doesn't create the boxed form until you ask it to typeset the script as a PDF.

Last edited:
Back