Genre:
Comedy
Length:
Feature

http://www.astupidmovieforjerks.com

Score:
3/5

I'm a big fan of truth in advertising.

So, after looking at the DVD cover, I popped in A Stupid Movie For Jerks, hoping I'd see a stupid movie that was made for jerks that had Dolemite in it.

Two outta three ain't bad.

It is a stupid movie -- the main plot consist of a guy befriending another guy just to get him arrested (in one of the lamest ways imaginable) then those two frenemies reuniting years later to teach blind kids to act like they can see. It has Dolemite in it (briefly). But it just wasn't jerkish enough for my tastes.

Cinema has had a lot of jerks -- Bugs Bunny is a huge jerk, Steve Martin was The Jerk, and pretty much every 80s teen movie had some kind of jerk in it (Biff in Back to the Future, Chet in Weird Science, Johnny in The Karate Kid, etc.). So when you boldly put out there that this movie was made for jerks, I'd expect a lot more jerkitude. To be fair, there is some jerkiness involved (the aforementioned mocking of the blind is pretty jerky -- the simple fact that someone would pretend to be a friend for years just to get someone arrested smacks of jerkdom no matter how lame the actual arrest), but I was just hoping for more.

That's just a little bone I had to pick with the movie.

You have to give writer/director Mike Sarti credit. He knows he made a stupid movie. That was his point. The stupidity this movie just throws out there with reckless abandon is impressive. However, the movie has a lot going for it technically: the sound is decent, the camera work is pretty damn good, and the same goes for the lighting.

But is the movie worth your time?

That depends. As I mentioned, it is a stupid movie, so if that's what you're in the mood for...then, yeah. But be aware: Sarti and frequent collaborator Jason Sheinkopf set out to make a stupid movie...and that's just what they did.

Last edited:
Back