• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A good solution or not?

Here's my predicament: I'm in the middle of production on a web-series, which we started a few months ago. Since then, it has snowed pretty badly here in Ohio. I have a lot of outdoor scenes, some have been shot before the snow, some still need to be shot.... This show has not been filmed in sequential order, so the snow appearing and disappearing is not gonna make sense.

My potential solution: I'm thinking of adding falling snow in After Effects to the scenes that've been shot, since most of em take place more towards the beginning of the story. I may have to drop a scene or two that's been shot, or have the characters comment on "the crazy weather."

Does this sound good, or does anyone have another option?

Well I would definetely suggest that you make the thing where characters comment on the crazy weather.

After Effects snow could be super fake and unrealistic.Even if you do it right there is still something missing.

Can the scenes, which still need to be shot, be moved indoors so the changing outdoors doesn't matter?

Also... how much longer do you need to shoot veerything else? Will the future lack of snow suddenly become a problem of its own?

I would stick it out and try and fake it. Move whatever you can indoors, and hide any snow for stuff that's outside.

Fake snow in AE, and a throwaway line like 'what crazy weather' is often really obvious and somewhat distracting to the story, as you're now focussed on the weather.

I've thought of two more solutions for some of the beginning stuff, one moving 2 long scenes indoors (partially because I dont wanna deal with equipment in the cold)

two removing one short one and replacing it with a new one that'll move the story forward in the same way.... I think I can then use some stock footage of the first snowfall of the season to indicate a sort of transition, so that halfway through the story it becomes snowy

Back