• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A film on Siri

I'm just about everyone have now heard about Siri. If you haven't, it's the newly introduced voice controlled, virtual assistance that comes with all iPhone 4S's.

After seeing many ads about it, i had an idea of making a short film with Siri being one of the "main character". It will be a romance/comedy story all while poking fun at relationships in general. Here's just some of my semi organized ideas and I was wondering what you guy think of it.

Now, voice recognition isn't anything new, but natural speech recognition that's commercially so readily available is a first with Siri. So i thought the film would start with a person who first receive his iPhone 4s. For the sake of discussion, we'll call this person John. John initially treat Siri just as any other voice recognition software by giving short simple commands such as "Compose mail", "dictate", "send", "open mail" etc.

Then one day, after completing a task, John says to himself "huh, that's actually pretty cool" before standing up to walk away. But then the unexpected happens, Siri replies " Thank you John." John then turns around surprised. He asks "Are you talking to me?", and Siri replies "Yes, who else would i be talking to?" Then the scene ends with John reaching some what of a realization.

Then there will be a series of montage style shots of John getting more close to Siri. Initially they will be scenes from everyday life when John uses Siri, such as at work, or checking mail every morning. Then as John grows more intimate with Siri, some stereotypical scenes from chick-flicks such as watching the sun-set, sitting at park, walking on the beach etc. will be used.

People would laugh at him for being so silly. A short conversation I thought of was:
John "Oh Siri, i'll never leave you.... until the next iPhone comes out"
John's friend (we'll call him Mike) who is with his girlfriend "dude... that's not forever, this is" indicate to him and his girlfriend
John "well... considering most relationships don't last more than 3 weeks, i'd think my forever's quite long."

Another short conversation i thought of for later in the film was was:
Mike "John, you gotta get it in your head. That's just a computer, it doesn't even know what love means"
John "Siri, do you know what love is?"
Siri gives dictionary definition of love
John looks up at his friend with a "I told you so" expression
Mike "No, no, no, that's just pre-programmed reply"
Mike's phone rings, it is from his girlfriend
Mike "Now this, this is love" says the friend before picking up the phone.
Mike's expression freezes as he answers the phone.
When Mike haned up, John asks "What's wrong"
Mike "She just broke up with me"
John "Maybe there's something you could do to get her back?"
Mike "Like what?"
John "You know you could buy her apps and ..."
Mike "What?!"
John "You know, Apps, from the app store? Siri always loves it when i buy her apps"
Mike stands up to walk away "Allow me to find a hole and just cry."

Then near the end of the film. John would get robbed and car jacked. The robbers would tie John up, put him on the road and attempts to run him over with his own car. Then Siri controls the car and make it crash. In doing so saves John. Before the crash, a email is sent saying how much Siri enjoyed the time spent with John etc. etc.

I'm thinking that i'll make Siri have the quality of a mix between HAL9000 and Sonny from I, Robot.

Wow, this is a really long post. But yeah, let me know what you guys think of this idea. Of course, nothing is set in stone yet, and the script is yet to be written. Anything criticizm, suggestion, exclaimation and praise is all welcome.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Back