• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A few screenwriting questions...

I am just getting into screenwriting and was wondering on a few things,,

If I write somthing and want others to look at it for feedback or error checks is it a good idea to post it on here or any forum as somone may copy it or somthing?

Is it a bad idea to write somthing sci-fi , somthing that you dont have the funds to make but would love to write it?

Do people doctor scripts for free? (maybe a stupid questions)

How would one go about sending it to somone, who and where?, im in the UK.

Some bold questions but just wondering.

cheers.

I am just getting into screenwriting and was wondering on a few things,,

If I write somthing and want others to look at it for feedback or error checks is it a good idea to post it on here or any forum as somone may copy it or somthing?

If you do, you may want to get it copyrighted and/or registered with the (in your case) WGA-E before you unveil it before the public. If you really want feedback/ proofreading bring it to a trusted English teacher or a close friend or family member who's good with grammar.

Is it a bad idea to write somthing sci-fi , somthing that you dont have the funds to make but would love to write it?

Not at all. A high concept like that might be great to use a a spec script to pass around. It's only if you plan on directing and financing it yourself, then money may be problem.

Do people doctor scripts for free? (maybe a stupid questions)

The only stupid question is one not asked. I don't know of anyone who doctors scripts for free, personally. Though, granted, I've never looked into it.

How would one go about sending it to somone, who and where?, im in the UK.

If it's low budget enough for a small indy producer to make, I would ask around there in the UK and network with them, pitching your script.

If not, try and make some shorts films, get them into film festivals, network with others, and pitch your script around. Remember to get it registered/ copyrighted.

Our writer may be able to help you out

The guy who writes for us writes for a few diffrent film co. If you have Myspace,check out myspace.com/sikandtwisted_yahoo go to my friends list and look for reese. This guy is one HELL of a writer he may be able to shed some light on any questions you may have

The one question I can definitely answer for you with complete accuracy is whether or not you should write something that you probably won't have the budget for anytime soon. I think it's always exploring a really good idea, even if it doesn't have the weight of having a realistic shot at getting made anytime soon. Anything that you want to write, anything that pushes your talent a little further out the door and allows you to explore that talent is almost certainly not a waste of time.

I also definitely agree with Lord of Light on the feedback issue. Make sure it's protected, and then try your best to keep the feedback limited to one or two people whose opinions you really trust and are going to give you strong, insightful critiques for improving the material.

Some answers

1) Copyright it and/or register it first. I don't have a link for UK copyright or a UK registration, in USA go to www.wga.org for registration.

2) Well, if you are writing a script to sell, that might be a good idea. There is a certain "puinishment must fit the crime" thing with budgets - if you write a very expensive script with a "small idea" or a "dark/downer idea", you're in trouble. If you write an expensive script, you want it to also be popular enough to sell enough tickets to cover the costs of making the film... even if you aren't the one funding the film. The best ideas are ones that are simple and relatively inexpensive, yet mind-blowing... like THE MATRIX. The world we live in is not real.

3) Nothing is free. You want to write the best possible script, because those script doctor writers get paid big bucks. You can't afford them, so you want a script so good that a producer buys it... and then they pay for all of those expensive behind the scenes rewrites.

4) Make some connections... or find producer addresses and query them. In USA, Hollywood Creative Directory and other sources list producer's addresses and phone numbers. In UK? I don't know. But I'll be in UK in October on a film fest jury and then doing my 2 day screenwriting class. I'll ask around and see if I can get you some answers.

- Bill

Back