A few questions on lenses

Hey everyone,

regardless of what camera I buy in the near future, I know that I'm going to have to purchase a couple of lenses to help get the best image possible and to add better DOF to my future videos. The problem is, I really don't understand "lens lingo", and so have no idea what type of lens I should buy, or if I could make do with buying just one cheap lens and using it in every situation...

These are the two cameras I'm considering purchasing. The Canon HF S100, combined with the Letus Mini 35mm adapter and a nice (but cheap) lens (price totals somewhere around $1850) can look almost as stunning as the $1700 Canon EOS 7D (the other camera I'm considering). I've seen two great videos shot with the HF S100 and good lenses that really makes it my camera of choice. It's also cheaper to start out with than the 7D. The only reason I'm considering the 7D is because I have a side-interest in photography.

But back to the point of this question: what type of lens should I look for? Is there any specific type of lens I'll need for specific shots and scenes, or could I buy this Nikon lens that ranges in price from $100-$200 and be fine until I needed to upgrade?

Also, what does the term "f-stop" mean? I've heard that it has something to do with light, or zoom, or something to that effect, but I'm really not certain. I figure the more I learn about lenses now, I'll be better prepared when buying the camera and equipment in a couple of months and might be able to make better videos just that much sooner. ;)

I guess those are really the only questions I have at the moment. Thanks to any and all who respond!

Major bump here...sorry y'all...

Anyway, I've decided to do the DSLR route, as it serves both of my filmmaking/photography needs. I've just gone one question...

What lens length (I think that's the right term?) should I get? 50mm? 30mm? I guess a better way to word it would be this: What's the best lens to get for most kinds of shooting (close-up, far away, wide-angle, etc.,)?

I havent read all the previous posts, just ur last, so im basing my reply on that.

If you want to get only one lens AND your doing both photography and video, get a decent zoom like the 24-70mm.

If you're considering ONLY primes, then get the 50mm 1.4

In the end it all depends on what you want to do so if you tell us your goals, we might be able to give more specified advice :)

Well, I'll definitely be using the DSLR more for video than photography, so I'm leaning towards a prime lens I think...

I'd like to get an all-manual one too, not one that's got any autofocus or anything. I want to be able to be in full control of my lens. :P

I think I'll go with a 50mm, since I've seen a lot of decent videos shot with that sucker. :)

Thanks!

Whats your budget?

If u want to go with primes, you'll need about three to cover the wide, standard and long end.
new good ones will cost u about 400 each so itll be 1200.
ull be doing manual control anyway in video mode.

If that is out of ur budget then you can get older and used lenses on ebay. but u have to know what you're looking for and you may need adapters depending on which brand you go for.

And if you have no budget at all, then go for the canon 50mm 1.8 which is about a 100usd. itll get u started a the most basic level.

The Canon 50mm 1.8 was one I was looking at, actually. :)

My budget is currently non-existent, to be honest. I'm currently job-hunting so that I can save up some money to afford lenses and the DSLR body (I was thinking of buying it without the kit lens and just use the 50mm; the cost would be about the same). So it'll still be at least a month or two before I can afford it. But that also is a benefit because it gives me time to shop around and get opinions. :)

I've used the 50mm f/1.4 on a 550D quite a bit, and it's gorgeous… I think the f/1.8 isn't built quite as solidly, but it's still fantastic for the price. If you want to do wide shots for interiors I really don't think the 50mm is wide enough with the crop sensor of the 550D - so do be warned - but if the main issue is money then the 50mm f/1.8 is by far the best value fast prime you can get.

Just remember that all the crop talk just concerns your field of view.
If you want the look of a 50mm, only a 50mm will give that. Dont think that if you want the look of a 50mm, you need to get a 35mm or a little less bc of the crop.

Does the Canon 7D have a better sensor that isn't cropped like the 550D? And thus if I use a 50mm f1.8 with it, will it help to give me a wider image in smaller spaces? Or should I just look into another lens as well, and just order two right off the bat?

Does the Canon 7D have a better sensor that isn't cropped like the 550D? And thus if I use a 50mm f1.8 with it, will it help to give me a wider image in smaller spaces? Or should I just look into another lens as well, and just order two right off the bat?

If you want to shoot video on a full frame sensor Canon, you'll have to drop $2.5K on a 5D MKII. Think of it this way though - the sensor in the 550D and 7D is much closer to the size of 35mm motion picture film than the 5D's is.

I'll just stick with the 550D (or the new 60D) then. There's no way I can afford the 5DMKII. :P

What other lenses would you guys recommend getting besides the 50mm? Price doesn't matter right now, I just want to get ideas. :)

Well, if price doesn't matter… :D

If I could only have two on top of the 50mm, I'd probably pick the 24mm f/1.4 L II and the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM. Both are built like tanks (you mount the camera to the 70-200mm, rather than the lens to the camera). If you're sticking to primes, the 85mm f/1.2 L is fantastic, but the focus-by-wire system is a bit tricky to use with video.

Generally speaking, the 50mm is a good place to start because it's so cheap… after that, I'd get something wider (maybe a 24mm), then something longer (maybe an 85mm), but it depends on your personal style and what focal lengths you prefer.

Before the more modern advent of a zoom lens being the standard "kit" lens, the 50mm used to the be the lens that came as part of the package with a camera. That means there are a zillion of them out there, thus they are cheap. I think I have like three 50mm 2.0 and 1.8 lenses for my Pentax film camera just because every 70's and 80's pentax body I ever bought came with one. Then 28mm are fairly cheap because lots of people like to do landscape photography, and it's a commmon landscape lens. 85 and 135 are more expensive because only portrait photographers tended to buy them.

Back